Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Please help with this puzzle
Previous  1  2

Heyaaa

Post Sat, Feb 06 2016, 12:25 pm
Kumphort wrote:
Can u get away with repurposing leftovers. So for example dinner would be chicken cutlets grilled and then the next day for lunch would be chicken wraps or grilled chicken salad. One night a meatloaf the next day use leftovers and cook in sauce and make sloppy Joe's etc

Or do it two days later for lunch. The further apart it is the less it feels like leftovers.

If your husband doesn't like chicken wraps or sandwiches you can make a stir fry with the chicken. My dh cannot stand stir fry but I put it in a wrap and then fry the wrap (with only a little oil) and he loves that.

Heyaaa

Post Sat, Feb 06 2016, 12:34 pm
amother wrote:
DH doesn't like stew, but he likes soup, so I thin it out and call it soup. The problem is that it leaves me short a meal. DH never complains whatever I cook, but he will go out and buy a steak for takeout.

DH likes halibut which is twice the price of steak. Once in a very great while, he will eat fried flounder- about twice a year. He thinks fish is Shabbos food.

I could get away with a dairy pasta like gnocchi in a pink vodka sauce or a pesto sauce, but they are also time consuming.

Pesto sauces and pink vodka sauces should not take long at all.

For a pesto sauce you throw the ingredients in a blender and then you can keep it in the fridge for the next few days. When using it for a sauce you just add some oil.
For a pink vodka sauce, there's a recipe in the BY cookbook. It takes about half an hour which is about how long it takes for the water to boil and then cook the pasta.

If you mean that making fresh gnocchi is time consuming, all the filled pastas and gnocchi can be bough pre made at the grocery. Gnocchi is usually in a vacuum sealed bag and not in the refrigerator and filled pastas like tortellini and ravioli are in the refrigerator or freezer.

amother
Linen

Post Sat, Feb 06 2016, 1:27 pm
Healthwise, not clever to eat so much red meat...

amother
Lime

Post Sat, Feb 06 2016, 6:48 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
I'm wondering where whole grains come into the menu and I certainly would add more vegetables. I don't think I'd be able to move if I were eating 8oz of meat a day but that's me.

Dh's go to meal is a take out steak. He is grown up who will not touch most vegetables and will get sick of the few he does eat if I serve them too often. Then he will not touch them for months. I lost the ability to serve him mushrooms because I made them too often. He hasn't touched them from before spring. At least I can get his meal down to half meat. He mostly eats only meat when I don't plate his food.

amother
Lime

Post Sat, Feb 06 2016, 6:52 pm
Heyaaa wrote:
Or do it two days later for lunch. The further apart it is the less it feels like leftovers.

If your husband doesn't like chicken wraps or sandwiches you can make a stir fry with the chicken. My dh cannot stand stir fry but I put it in a wrap and then fry the wrap (with only a little oil) and he loves that.

You are correct that I can space the leftovers for two days later. DH doesn't need left overs disguised as much as he won't eat the same meal two days in a row. I could serve meatloaf M/W and chilli T/T.

amother
Lime

Post Sat, Feb 06 2016, 6:55 pm
amother wrote:
Healthwise, not clever to eat so much red meat...

ITA, but DH is set in his ways. I have tried changing his diet, and what happens is I have a big take out bill.

MagentaYenta

Post Sat, Feb 06 2016, 9:55 pm
amother wrote:
ITA, but DH is set in his ways. I have tried changing his diet, and what happens is I have a big take out bill.

I hope he has blood work done on a regular basis. He's digging his grave with a fork and spoon.

amother
Lime

Post Sat, Feb 06 2016, 10:07 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
I hope he has blood work done on a regular basis. He's digging his grave with a fork and spoon.

He does. His cholesterol and BP are excellent He is in excellent shape.

He also eats cake daily, and he is used to a homemade cake available for snacking. When I don't make cake, he goes out and buys a bunch at a bakery.

wantavaca

Post Sat, Feb 06 2016, 11:41 pm
And he's not overweight?

amother
Lime

Post Sun, Feb 07 2016, 12:14 am
wantavaca wrote:
And he's not overweight?

No, he is not. He eats baked goods for breakfast and a coffee. He has hot lunch and a soup during the day. He eats a hot supper at night. He also snacks at night on junk at night. He constantly drinks diet soda.

I eat less than DH and much healthier. I workout and drink water throughout the day, and I am 15lbs overweight.

To add to the puzzle: I just remembered that DH needs to have a fleish lunch because he only has a fleish microwave at work; therefore, he needs a fleish or pareve supper because he doesn't always get to finish his lunch by early afternoon.

amother
Blue

Post Sun, Feb 07 2016, 12:23 am
What about baking 2 roasts together slice them freeze them warm them up in their sauce. You can do a minute roast and French roast together which will be enough for quite a few suppers. You can always cook rice or potatos in the sauce. There are also light and dark chicken roasts that freeze well not expensive.

amother
Lime

Post Sun, Feb 07 2016, 1:57 am
amother wrote:
What about baking 2 roasts together slice them freeze them warm them up in their sauce. You can do a minute roast and French roast together which will be enough for quite a few suppers. You can always cook rice or potatos in the sauce. There are also light and dark chicken roasts that freeze well not expensive.

He also doesn't like food that has been cooked and then frozen. I can get away with frozen soups, but not too many precooked meals.

To add to the puzzle: I have freezers full of cases of raw meat. I have frozen beef slabs, chicken breasts without bones, whole chicken, ground up chicken, chicken bottoms. I usually save the whole chickens for shabbos.

More suggestions for those meats would be appreciated.

Lukshen

Post Sun, Feb 07 2016, 2:08 am
He's got lofty expectations. Not cool to be so high maintenance.
You should try getting him out of the habit of hot lunches, especially as he eats those at work. I know you said he's used to this, but habits can be broken.

MagentaYenta

Post Sun, Feb 07 2016, 2:47 am
Lukshen wrote:
He's got lofty expectations. Not cool to be so high maintenance.
You should try getting him out of the habit of hot lunches, especially as he eats those at work. I know you said he's used to this, but habits can be broken.

I initially suggested that the husband lower his expectations. Since humans can break habits and routines I would suggest he is stubborn. I also feel that his demands may be an overt way of remaining a spoiled child. He doesn't seem the least bit flexible or even willing to compromise.

amother
Lime

Post Sun, Feb 07 2016, 8:49 am
MagentaYenta wrote:
I initially suggested that the husband lower his expectations. Since humans can break habits and routines I would suggest he is stubborn. I also feel that his demands may be an overt way of remaining a spoiled child. He doesn't seem the least bit flexible or even willing to compromise.

You couldn't be more wrong.

When I married DH, he made it clear that I was expected to have a hot supper for him every night and a traditional Shabbos prepared. He could care less if I bought them ready made. At that point in time, take out was a big financial strain, so I started cooking. My only other jobs he assigned was to take care of the kids and my handicapped mother.

He took on the lions share of the household including breaking down and setting up Shabbos, all maintenence, all laundry, etc. I don't think I ever mopped a floor. I do income taxes, pay my credit cards and allocate where our money is invested. DH handles all other paperwork including property taxes, insurances, and joint credit cards. He handles all aspects of the cars including buying, selling, cleaning, repairs and even getting gas.

The kids are older and my mother is nifta. I have gone back to work and am in line for a promotion which means more hours. I spend about 15/20 hours in the kitchen and another 4 shopping I would like to cut those hours down but not out entirely.

DH's love language is service and cooking for him is an act of love rather than placating a spoiled boy. As I have said, he never demands. If the food is not to his liking, he will go out and buy takeout. DH is a people pleaser, and he thinks that is considerate. We rarely fight, and I am not going to start by making him eat what he doesn't like especially when he is healthy and looks great.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen