Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Politz Hebrew Academy of Philadelphia

tzatza

Post Wed, Apr 18 2012, 9:59 pm
Dear imamothers, I would appreciate your comments on Politz education for boys, grade 5 and up (limudei kodesh and chol).

TIA

Optione

Post Wed, Apr 18 2012, 11:02 pm
They have a phenomenal education, both limudei kodesh and chol. They are extremely caring and kind. It is known to be yeshivish yet they have a diverse group. Boys from the school go on to many well known "top" yeshivos and universities.

amother

Post Thu, Apr 19 2012, 11:35 am
I went there as a kid!!!!!!!!!! As I am now 28 I have no idea how it is now (Does Mrs. Katz still run it?).

Tova

Post Thu, Apr 19 2012, 12:05 pm
Ahh...are you me? I attended nursery and kindergarten there when my family lived in Philly and I distinctly remember Mrs. Bessy Katz. I still have the class pictures from those years at my parent's house.

amother

Post Thu, Apr 19 2012, 6:40 pm
Mrs Katz is still there. As someone who's daughter attended the school I can't speak for the boys program but I don't really have anything nice to say about the school overall. We pulled our dd out.

tzatza

Post Thu, Apr 19 2012, 9:31 pm
amother wrote:
Mrs Katz is still there. As someone who's daughter attended the school I can't speak for the boys program but I don't really have anything nice to say about the school overall. We pulled our dd out.

Last amother, if you dont mind me asking, was it related to education level or other things?

TIA

amother

Post Thu, Apr 19 2012, 9:37 pm
tzatza wrote:
amother wrote:

Last amother, if you dont mind me asking, was it related to education level or other things?

TIA

it was a combination of things. one of our main issues (there are a few) was the quality of educator. There are a couple of decent teachers there but the majority leave something to be desired.
The school lacks a professionalism that I expect in any school but maybe as a non FFB I am expecting too much from our system.
Another thing...it is much more of a day school with lots of frum kids than it is a yeshivah.

tzatza

Post Fri, Apr 20 2012, 3:03 pm
amother wrote:
tzatza wrote:
amother wrote:

TIA

it was a combination of things. one of our main issues (there are a few) was the quality of educator. There are a couple of decent teachers there but the majority leave something to be desired.
The school lacks a professionalism that I expect in any school but maybe as a non FFB I am expecting too much from our system.
Another thing...it is much more of a day school with lots of frum kids than it is a yeshivah.

Thank you for your reply. If you dont mind me asking (again), what other school /schools were better suited?

amother

Post Fri, Apr 20 2012, 3:45 pm
in the philadelphia area? there isn't much else to choose from. Torah Academy in Lower Merion and Politz of Cherry Hill are the only other options around here. We don't know much about either. We are considering Politz of Cherry Hill for our younger child but still aren't sure. I don't know much about TA.

gila-rina

Post Sun, Apr 22 2012, 2:45 am
TA used to be co-ed till 4th grade. Overall, I think TA has a more modern student body.
Don't know about English department in Politz, but the Rabbis should be good.
This info is from someone who went to Politz about 20 years ago, just a warning.
Mrs. Katz is still there, for whoever was wondering.

amother

Post Sun, Apr 22 2012, 3:07 am
I also went to hebrew academy as a kid, graduated in 1990 then went on to TA for high school.
I can't say anything about the education nowadays but I am surprised to hear it called yeshivishe. It might be a tad more right wing than TA but its still a basic catchall orthodox day school as far as I know.

timeout

Post Wed, Apr 25 2012, 11:12 am
I graduated Politz a really long time ago. It has definitely changed since my time, if u r regular Yeshivish and your child is a happy go lucky Politz would be good. I have a friend who has her kids in 3 different schools in Philly since each one needs something else. The community itself is great especially where my parents live I love going for Yom Tov and will be going for a month this summer. My kids will be going to Achdus the day camp and a little toddler camp for my 3 yo they can't wait.

amother

Post Mon, Feb 09 2015, 9:15 am
bump

amother

Post Tue, Feb 10 2015, 8:43 pm
bump

amother

Post Tue, Feb 10 2015, 8:49 pm
I grew up intown so this has all been new to me (think less than a decade).
So far, we are very happy there.
I have both genders there (in the younger grades) and have been very pleased educationally, hashkafically and middos wise.
While both Politz and TA cater to the general community with it's mixed crowd, the hanhala of Politz is much more right wing.
THe more yeshivish families from Lower Merion send there kids there.
Its lacks a certain professionalism that TA offers.
But that was never an ikkur for me.
Love of Torah, Gedolim and overall yeshiva hashkafa was more of a priority.

That said, I have seem many families have different kids in the different schools for a variteyt of reasons.

FTR, TA is still coed until 4rth-a major issue for me personally. I

good times

Post Tue, Feb 10 2015, 10:11 pm
I don't know about the boys as my kids are girls but we were extremely happy with the school. We felt that besides the top notch academics, the students were taught to truly love Torah. There was a very warm atmosphere among students and faculty alike. The children were given a variety of way to explore their artistic side as well as find the best way to connect to Hashem. I have never seen a school (and we move around a lot) that has such a diverse crowd with a great unified and solid hashgafa from the faculty. I also was very impressed with the importance the school placed on midos and on children being kind to each other. They have a very strict no bullying policy that they implement. My children were very happy there. Many years later we still lament about how we had to move away from that school.

amother
Copper

Post Sun, Feb 07 2016, 1:45 pm
Does anyone have any current info?

amother
Calendula

Post Sun, Feb 20 2022, 12:24 pm
Anyone have current info? I’m hearing really mixed things. (FTR, moving from a Lakewood school. Not one of the so called “yeshivish” ones but still Lakewood) Specifically want to know about the girls school.

amother
Bergamot

Post Tue, Aug 02 2022, 9:57 pm
amother [ Calendula ] wrote:
Anyone have current info? I’m hearing really mixed things. (FTR, moving from a Lakewood school. Not one of the so called “yeshivish” ones but still Lakewood) Specifically want to know about the girls school.

Bumping this to follow

amother
Floralwhite

Post Tue, Aug 01 2023, 10:38 pm
Does anyone have updated info? My daughter will be starting there this year in 3rd grade.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics