Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
ISO FLUFFY small batch challah recipe

amother
Hotpink

Post Wed, Feb 03 2016, 10:03 pm
Any suggestions? I've read some of the posts here already & heard some good tips, but looking if anyone has a specific recipe for a small batch of challah that works for them. My challahs still are on the dense side. Thank you

PassionFruit

Post Wed, Feb 03 2016, 10:37 pm
4 t yeast, 1 1/8 c warm water 1/2 c sugar, wait ten min. add 3/4 c oil, 3 eggs, t salt, 5 3/4 c bread flour [or as my mother does, 3 of bread flour and 2 3/4 of white whole wheat]. I make this in a bread machine every week and it comes out PERFECT, but I have also made it by hand and it comes out very good. If doing it by hand, let it rise about two hours, punch down, braid, egg, and let rise again 40 min. bake the challas for 24 minutes at 350.

amother
Blush

Post Wed, Feb 03 2016, 10:39 pm
http://thecubanreuben.com/shabbat-challah/

amother
Hotpink

Post Sun, Feb 07 2016, 12:48 pm
Thank you so Smile much "amother" & "funny face" for your responses - I'm looking forward to trying these out! Smile

thanks

Post Sun, Feb 07 2016, 12:58 pm
Funnyface - when you do it in the bread machine, do you still do the yeast water and sugar first?

queenert

Post Sun, Feb 07 2016, 2:47 pm
This one's good too...

Proof 1 tablespoon yeast in 2 cups warm water with 1/2 cup sugar.
Add 1 egg, 1/2 cup oil, 7 cups flour, 1 heaping tablespoon salt.
Knead and let rise - the longer the rise, the fluffier the challahs. Braid, rise, egg, and bake.
Enjoy!
(I have done half ww and it's good but a little less fluffy...not dense really...more like the doughy type.)

amother
Wheat

Post Sun, Feb 07 2016, 2:48 pm
funnyface wrote:
4 t yeast, 1 1/8 c warm water 1/2 c sugar, wait ten min. add 3/4 c oil, 3 eggs, t salt, 5 3/4 c bread flour [or as my mother does, 3 of bread flour and 2 3/4 of white whole wheat]. I make this in a bread machine every week and it comes out PERFECT, but I have also made it by hand and it comes out very good. If doing it by hand, let it rise about two hours, punch down, braid, egg, and let rise again 40 min. bake the challas for 24 minutes at 350.

Just curious if you remove the risen dough from the bread maker to braid and bake your challah in the oven or if you just allow the machine to do everything for you and you are left with a challah loaf bread?
I'd like to try to use my bread maker for challah as I work 5 days a week and have not been making challah for the past few years due to lack of time and ability to deal with the mess.

pointyshoes

Post Sun, Feb 07 2016, 4:16 pm
This is my sworn by challa recipe. Its that good!

thanks

Post Sun, Feb 07 2016, 11:53 pm
I love my breadmachines (I bought a second one when there was a sale so I can make whole wheat and regular white at the same time.) My machine has a timer. I put the ingredients in the morning, and set it to go off later in the day. I time it so that when I come home, the dough has risen and is ready to be braided.

I too work, so this is how I get it done.

amother
Hotpink

Post Mon, Feb 08 2016, 9:58 am
pointyshoes wrote:
This is my sworn by challa recipe. Its that good!

To the two posters who love this recipe, have you tried it with a bread machine? For that matter, can any challah recipe that'll fit work for a bread machine?

amother
Hotpink

Post Mon, Feb 08 2016, 10:00 am
I just posted anonymously - does anyone know why it says "hotpink" by my post? Weird... Smile

amother
Hotpink

Post Wed, Feb 10 2016, 12:19 pm
funnyface wrote:

With 5 3/4 c flour, is challah taken w/o a bracha? And after you remove the dough from the bread machine, are there more rising periods like after braiding?
Thank you btw as I should've titled the heading of this original post "ISO fluffy... for a bread machine" Smile

Grateful2bhere

Post Wed, Feb 10 2016, 12:22 pm
Any ideas for baking time? My family is small, plus gluten free eaters, so I bake small rolls & braids, & sometimes over bake, not wanting doughy, but not sure where the line is to too long. Someone suggested tapping the bottom for a "hollow" done feeling to hot that point of no longer doughy. Any other tips?

Grateful2bhere

Post Wed, Feb 10 2016, 12:24 pm
"Hotpink" indicates membership-frequency-status I think.

pointyshoes

Post Wed, Feb 10 2016, 12:53 pm
Never tried it In a bread machine- no idea if it would work sorry!

amother
Bisque

Post Wed, Feb 10 2016, 12:56 pm
amother wrote:
I just posted anonymously - does anyone know why it says "hotpink" by my post? Weird... Smile

Each amother post is assigned a specific color to differentiate one amother from another. Your amother color changes from one thread to another.

lfab

Post Wed, Feb 10 2016, 1:07 pm
This is the challah recipe I use (though I usually quadruple it).

4C flour
1/4 C sugar
1/4C oil
2 tsp salt
1 1/2 C warm water
1T yeast

Makes really yummy and really fluffy challah. Makes about 1 large or 2 medium loaves. No idea if it will work in a bread machine.

amother
Hotpink

Post Sun, Feb 14 2016, 2:37 pm
funnyface wrote:

Thank you for this suggestion. I made it, used honey & half sugar as I heard honey helps retain moisture, did 5 & 1/4 cups bread flour (as I was concerned of already going over the suggested max in my bread machine), & lastly, because I was a little curious, I added 1 teaspoon vital wheat gluten since my challahs have always been so dense (although I've only heard of using VWG in whole grain recipes really), & bH they came out very fluffy. My particular husband enjoyed them very much.
Now one challah came out very well, while 2 were collapsing a little. Maybe I should skip the VWG... :-) Thanks!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen