Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Must I hire a tutor for my son learning gemara?

amother
Royalblue

Post Sun, Feb 07 2016, 3:47 pm
My son in middle school just began learning gemara a few months ago. His rebbe assigns review work nearly every night and sends home translated review sheets to help them study.

I am a single parent and my son's father isn't available to learn with him. I received a day school/ bais yaakov education so helping my children with their chumash, navi, and other kodesh homework isn't difficult because I either learned it myself or can figure it out. So I've always felt that I understood what my children were learning at least as well as they did.

But I never learned mishnayos or gemara in school. When my son was learning mishnayos, his rebbe sent home translated review sheets but the mishnayos seemed easier anyway. Maybe because it's in Hebrew? I can understand the gemara with the help of the review sheets but barely can without the sheets.

So I review my son's homework with him every night using the sheets. He doesn't love to do his homework but that's because he has a long day of school. Once he starts his homework he is fine and seems to grasp it well.

He is doing well in gemara and his other kodesh and secular subjects and his teachers have no concerns about him.

I know that in a year or so their learning will become more intense and detailed, and the rebbe will stop providing review sheets. At that point I will probably arrange for my son to learn with a yeshiva gedolah student. This will be an added expense, but more inconvenient, will require that I drive my son back and forth during the busy evening hours. So I'd like to avoid it for now.

Am I putting my son at a disadvantage by reviewing with him myself rather than hiring a tutor for now?

Could other mothers in similar situations tell me how they handled it? Would an artscroll or other translated gemara be helpful?

amother
Mustard

Post Sun, Feb 07 2016, 4:35 pm
Can he learn on the phone with your father maybe? Im not in your situation but when my husband is away on business that is how he learns with my son

imasinger

Post Sun, Feb 07 2016, 4:37 pm
Can you get an English copy to help yourself help him?

Can you see if there is a classmate that will do some extra learning with him b'chevrusa?

water_bear88

Post Sun, Feb 07 2016, 5:09 pm
Can you use an Artscroll gemara, or Steinzaltz if your Hebrew is good enough? They both give good explanations of the gemara. It might help to have a dictionary as well- I think Jastrow for English.

Kol hakavod on doing this for your son! Maybe also find out what masechet they'll be learning next year if you want to get a head start?

naturalmom5

Post Sun, Feb 07 2016, 6:34 pm
Have you ever tried www.realcleardaf.com
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics