Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
The Super Bowl
1  2  Next

MagentaYenta

Post Sun, Feb 07 2016, 6:33 pm
Lady GaGa just nailed it on the national anthem, almost as good as Aretha Franklin.

mommy3b2c

Post Sun, Feb 07 2016, 6:35 pm
And her outfit was quite presentable too!

MagentaYenta

Post Sun, Feb 07 2016, 6:40 pm
mommy2b2c wrote:
And her outfit was quite presentable too!

It was about as conservative as GaGa could get. I didn't like the red and blue eye shadow though. Gosh she sure has a voice.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Feb 07 2016, 7:29 pm
There's hope for the union!
Though I recommend reading Gordon Korman's "Pop".
Sorry, I'll try not to be a party pooper.

fbc

Post Sun, Feb 07 2016, 7:31 pm
Lol I assume you're all watching the super bowl because you're husbands are major fans. I just joined the club for the first time last super bowl, this is my second, and we have upgraded to hosting my brother and his friend, and grilling indoors on our tabletop grill Smile

yogabird

Post Sun, Feb 07 2016, 7:44 pm
Go Broncos!

MagentaYenta

Post Sun, Feb 07 2016, 7:45 pm
fbc wrote:
Lol I assume you're all watching the super bowl because you're husbands are major fans. I just joined the club for the first time last super bowl, this is my second, and we have upgraded to hosting my brother and his friend, and grilling indoors on our tabletop grill Smile

I'm single, I went to my first NY Giants game with my father at age 6, I'm going to be 65. I've been to three Super Bowls. I'm not doing the party thing this year but watching at home on the small screen.

greenfire

Post Sun, Feb 07 2016, 11:10 pm
I'm pretty much a tomboy ~ but watching the superbowl never did fancy me ... just a whole lot of testosterone running amok & knocking each other down

but I sure would have liked to hear that national anthem by lady gaga

we just watched a couple of chick flicks & drank some pina coladas

DrMom

Post Sun, Feb 07 2016, 11:37 pm
No interest whatsoever.

greenfire

Post Sun, Feb 07 2016, 11:57 pm
http://tvline.com/2016/02/07/l.....ideo/

Fox

Post Mon, Feb 08 2016, 12:46 am
I really, really, really hate to come off sounding like a prissy, self-righteous party pooper determined to rain on everyone's parade, but I would encourage everyone here on Imamother to think very seriously before continuing to watch or in any way supporting HS, college, or professional football.

Years ago, I was a huge football fan. How could I not be? The 1985 Bears literally brought Chicago traffic to a halt every Sunday except for pizza deliveries. Walter Payton . . . Jim McMahon . . . Gary Fencik . . . William "The Fridge" Perry . . . Mike Singletary . . . Willie Gault . . . all led by the legendary Mike Ditka. Even people who disapproved of getting caught up in non-Jewish sporting crazes found themselves cheering.

But a couple of years later, I happened on a documentary showing 45-year-old former pro players crippled by arthritis, having their knees and hips replaced, and basically moving like extremely elderly people. I lost a lot of enthusiasm.

Now we know that osteoarthritis is the least of it.

Safety Dave Duerson, born two days before me, killed himself in 2011. After leaving football, he'd been a successful businessman, but in the years leading up to his death, his judgment and mental acuity suffered. The post-mortum confirmed that he suffered from CTE (Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy).

It breaks my heart to hear "the punky QB known as [Jim] McMahon," still beloved by Chicagoans and only a year older than me, struggle to get through a radio interview. He was diagnosed with early-stage dementia at age 53, and he now struggles for words and occasionally becomes clearly confused.

Yes, it is true that football players engage in the sport voluntarily. Yes, everyone knows that tackle football has risks. But each one of these men has a mother; a wife; children.

I didn't know when I was cheering in 1985 that young men my age would, in 2016, look and sound more like 90-year-olds than 55-year-olds. I didn't know that some mothers, wives, and children would be mourning these men. I didn't know that others would be struggling to care for middle-aged men with dementia.

But I know now, and I don't want any part of it.

Fox

Post Mon, Feb 08 2016, 12:58 am
Am I being hugged because the Bears haven't won a Super Bowl since and couldn't currently be counted on to win a touch football game against a group of 7th grade boys?

etky

Post Mon, Feb 08 2016, 3:18 am
DrMom wrote:
No interest whatsoever.

I'm actually thrilled it's over.
I keep track of the time of year in chutz la'aretz through the newsletters that I get from recipe sites and what they post on my FB feed.
I mean, how else would I know that tomorrow is Mardi Gras if the recipes for Jambalaya and King Cake hadn't cued me in?
My least favorite time of year though is Superbowl season.
All those buffalo wings, sliders, dips, nachos etc. hold no interest for me and they keep on cropping up all over the place.
Now, on to Valentine's Day (cakes, cookies, chocolate, yum....)

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Feb 08 2016, 8:51 am
Fox, I'm with you. Like I said, read "Pop". And that's fiction, but GK had something to run with.

But ladies, would you really say that Lady Gaga was almost as good as Whitney Houston?
And, does Cold Play really evoke Bach, as per Pete Townshend?
(I've been listening to the radio this morning Tongue Out )
Oh, I missed some real commercial distillation but I did about the Doritos commercial. Did you hear about the NARAL tweet?

November

Post Mon, Feb 08 2016, 11:13 am
I did not watch the game, but did see the video that Beyonce put out right before the game of Formation. I find it an offensive mix of a salute to the Black Panthers and filth.

shoshanim999

Post Mon, Feb 08 2016, 11:27 am
Fox wrote:
I really, really, really hate to come off sounding like a prissy, self-righteous party pooper determined to rain on everyone's parade, but I would encourage everyone here on Imamother to think very seriously before continuing to watch or in any way supporting HS, college, or professional football.

Years ago, I was a huge football fan. How could I not be? The 1985 Bears literally brought Chicago traffic to a halt every Sunday except for pizza deliveries. Walter Payton . . . Jim McMahon . . . Gary Fencik . . . William "The Fridge" Perry . . . Mike Singletary . . . Willie Gault . . . all led by the legendary Mike Ditka. Even people who disapproved of getting caught up in non-Jewish sporting crazes found themselves cheering.

But a couple of years later, I happened on a documentary showing 45-year-old former pro players crippled by arthritis, having their knees and hips replaced, and basically moving like extremely elderly people. I lost a lot of enthusiasm.

Now we know that osteoarthritis is the least of it.

Safety Dave Duerson, born two days before me, killed himself in 2011. After leaving football, he'd been a successful businessman, but in the years leading up to his death, his judgment and mental acuity suffered. The post-mortum confirmed that he suffered from CTE (Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy).

It breaks my heart to hear "the punky QB known as [Jim] McMahon," still beloved by Chicagoans and only a year older than me, struggle to get through a radio interview. He was diagnosed with early-stage dementia at age 53, and he now struggles for words and occasionally becomes clearly confused.

Yes, it is true that football players engage in the sport voluntarily. Yes, everyone knows that tackle football has risks. But each one of these men has a mother; a wife; children.

I didn't know when I was cheering in 1985 that young men my age would, in 2016, look and sound more like 90-year-olds than 55-year-olds. I didn't know that some mothers, wives, and children would be mourning these men. I didn't know that others would be struggling to care for middle-aged men with dementia.

But I know now, and I don't want any part of it.

I don't want to get into a football discussion because I know less than nothing about the game. That being said I read a very interesting article a few months ago about how a group of Players from the 80's and 90's are suing the football league because they weren't informed of the dangers and long term consequences of violent collisions. It sounds kind of disingenuous to me. As if had they known they would have all quit and worked for a fraction of the money and give up all the fame, glory, and adulation. And so now that we know the dangers of the sport are the current players quitting? Of course not!

yogabird

Post Mon, Feb 08 2016, 11:33 am
shoshanim999 wrote:
I don't want to get into a football discussion because I know less than nothing about the game. That being said I read a very interesting article a few months ago about how a group of Players from the 80's and 90's are suing the football league because they weren't informed of the dangers and long term consequences of violent collisions. It sounds kind of disingenuous to me. As if had they known they would have all quit and worked for a fraction of the money and give up all the fame, glory, and adulation. And so now that we know the dangers of the sport are the current players quitting? Of course not!

I've heard them make the claim that they'd quit if they had opportunities to make money elsewhere.

Most if not all of the players are blacks from poor neighborhoods.

penguin

Post Mon, Feb 08 2016, 12:45 pm
Kind of like the Romans watching the gladiators, no?

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Feb 08 2016, 12:48 pm
penguin wrote:
Kind of like the Romans watching the gladiators, no?

Kind of. But I'm sure most of the billion or so viewing would never think to see it that way.

November

Post Mon, Feb 08 2016, 12:51 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
Kind of. But I'm sure most of the billion or so viewing would never think to see it that way.

I grew up with brothers who watched football and wrestling and I thought of it that way!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics