Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Meat
ISO crock pot brisket/pot roast recipe ASAP

Seraph

Post Fri, Sep 16 2011, 12:54 am
I'm looking for a recipe for brisket or pot roast in the crock pot that is yummy and flavorful.
I just got a recipe for homemade msg free onion soup mix, so feel free to offer a recipe that calls for onion soup mix.
I also have wine I made myself, so you can suggest a recipe made with that as well if needed.

No recipes that call for BBQ sauce or cranberry sauce please.

Shopmiami49

Post Fri, Sep 16 2011, 2:17 am
I make this all the time:

1 4-5 lb. roast
2 large onions sliced
3/4 c. ketchup
2 Tbsp. mustard
1/4 tsp. white pepper
salt and garlic powder to taste

Mix the ketchup mustard and spices to form a smooth paste. Layer the onions in the crockpot, smear the sauce on the underside of the roast and place on top of the onions. Smear the rest of the sauce on the top of the meat. Cook on low overnight.

I use a crockpot bag and surround it with water but the original recipe calls for doing it straight in the crockpot on low.

Or you can mix together the following:

apricot jam or duck sauce
soy sauce
granulated garlic
onion soup mix
ketchup

Follow the same instructions as above (including the onions). I actually just dump it all in a crockpot bag along with potato and carrot chunks and onions and make a stew out of it with more water added, of course.

mandksima

Post Tue, Sep 20 2011, 3:38 am
Shopmiami49 wrote:
I make this all the time:

1 4-5 lb. roast
2 large onions sliced
3/4 c. ketchup
2 Tbsp. mustard
1/4 tsp. white pepper
salt and garlic powder to taste

Mix the ketchup mustard and spices to form a smooth paste. Layer the onions in the crockpot, smear the sauce on the underside of the roast and place on top of the onions. Smear the rest of the sauce on the top of the meat. Cook on low overnight.

I use a crockpot bag and surround it with water but the original recipe calls for doing it straight in the crockpot on low.

If I don't use a bag I don't need to add any water at all? I suppose the onions will make their own juice. I want to do this tonight and freeze it.

Shopmiami49

Post Tue, Sep 20 2011, 8:28 am
I've only done it on the stovetop before without a bag obviously on a very low flame. The onions and the meat create their own juice. If you do it directly in the crockpot, I probably would not leave it as long as 10-12 hours - maybe 8 hours max.

OOTBubby

Post Tue, Sep 20 2011, 10:11 am
Seraph wrote:

I just got a recipe for homemade msg free onion soup mix, so feel free to offer a recipe that calls for onion soup mix.

Could you please share the recipe for that? I am really trying to move away from the standard MSG soup mixes (just bought a chicken soup flavored one without MSG), but would love the recipe for the onion soup mix.

Thanks.

be good

Post Tue, Sep 20 2011, 1:30 pm
THE SIMPLEST, BEST BRISKET:
meat- any roast. brisket comes out amazing
2-3 onions
onion soup mix

put water in the crockpot. in the crockpot bag, place the meat. sprinkle the soup mix over the top of the meat generously, covering it with a complete layer of the spices. slice the onion into rounds and layer two layers on onions over the meat. use more onions if needed. cook for a loooong time!
you can make it in the over, cover tightly and bake at 350* for 6 hours.

ONION SOUP MIX:

3/4 cup instant minced onion
1/3 cup beef bouillon powder
4 teaspoons onion powder
1/4 teaspoon celery salt
1/4 teaspoon sugar (optional)

OOTBubby

Post Tue, Sep 20 2011, 1:42 pm
be good wrote:
THE SIMPLEST, BEST BRISKET:
meat- any roast. brisket comes out amazing
2-3 onions
onion soup mix

put water in the crockpot. in the crockpot bag, place the meat. sprinkle the soup mix over the top of the meat generously, covering it with a complete layer of the spices. slice the onion into rounds and layer two layers on onions over the meat. use more onions if needed. cook for a loooong time!
you can make it in the over, cover tightly and bake at 350* for 6 hours.

ONION SOUP MIX:

3/4 cup instant minced onion
1/3 cup beef bouillon powder
4 teaspoons onion powder
1/4 teaspoon celery salt
1/4 teaspoon sugar (optional)

If that is in response to my request for OP's onions soup mix without MSG, it doesn't work because the beef bouillon powder has MSG.

OOTBubby

Post Tue, Sep 20 2011, 1:47 pm
OOTBubby wrote:
Seraph wrote:

Could you please share the recipe for that? I am really trying to move away from the standard MSG soup mixes (just bought a chicken soup flavored one without MSG), but would love the recipe for the onion soup mix.

Thanks.

Found it on your blog Seraph. Now I've just got to buy celery salt and turmeric; don't have them in my spice drawer.

mandksima

Post Wed, Sep 21 2011, 3:06 pm
Shopmiami49, thanks so much! It came out so good and it is already in the freezer. I think I will always make it this way! I did it in the crock pot without a bag or water and cooked it from 10PM until 6:30AM. Waited until it was cold to cut and it was wonderful. I did add a bit of onion soup mix though.

heidi

Post Fri, Feb 05 2016, 3:54 am
Want to make this for shabbos.
Any idea if it will last till Shabbos lunch and not burn?
Thought to turn it on low right before shabbos. But will it cook enough that way?

ra_mom

Post Sun, Feb 07 2016, 7:12 pm
heidi wrote:
Want to make this for shabbos.
Any idea if it will last till Shabbos lunch and not burn?
Thought to turn it on low right before shabbos. But will it cook enough that way?

Did you end up making it for shabbos?
Cooking on low for 19+ hours would be cooking it too much. (19 hours from 5pm candle lighting to 12pm lunch.)

r1

Post Sun, Feb 07 2016, 7:44 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Cooking on low for 19+ hours would be cooking it too much. (19 hours from 5pm candle lighting to 12pm lunch.)

Hey! Just saw ur name here and remembered ppl had qs about ur recipe

http://www.imamother.com/forum.....iyaki

Ps loved some of ur ideas from the supper thread

ra_mom

Post Sun, Feb 07 2016, 8:31 pm
r1 wrote:
Hey! Just saw ur name here and remembered ppl had qs about ur recipe

http://www.imamother.com/forum.....iyaki

Ps loved some of ur ideas from the supper thread

I responded Smile

Tweedy

Post Mon, Feb 08 2016, 2:53 am
Can I please have the recipes for homemade onion soup mix?

heidi

Post Mon, Feb 08 2016, 8:16 am
ra_mom wrote:

Made it. Kids loved it, I wasn't crazy about it. Using it for dinner tonight as pulled beef in bbq sauce

etky

Post Mon, Feb 08 2016, 8:38 am
heidi wrote:
Made it. Kids loved it, I wasn't crazy about it. Using it for dinner tonight as pulled beef in bbq sauce

Heidi, what number meat did you use?

heidi

Post Mon, Feb 08 2016, 11:45 pm
Brisket.
The pulled beef was amazing.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics