Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
How much have you paid a kallah teacher?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Silver

Post Sun, Feb 07 2016, 8:20 pm
$500 in Crown Heights although they tell you you can "give what you can"
my sister took classes with same woman a few years ago and it was more like $300 I think

edit: I'm sure I had the same teacher as blush below
8 classes, 3 hours each, plus a "test" over the phone (she gives you the Q beforehand so it is just to make sure you have reviewed it all), a follow-up personal class (typically half hour if iall is going okay, but mine was longer) and the promise that she is always just a text or phone call away for anything.

she in fact reached out to me once our problem was resolved to ask how it was going

yogabird

Post Sun, Feb 07 2016, 8:21 pm
600$. Outrageous.

ecs

Post Sun, Feb 07 2016, 8:32 pm
13 years ago in brooklyn-550

amother
Blush

Post Sun, Feb 07 2016, 8:37 pm
Wow some of these numbers are outrageous! The chasuna is expensive as it is..
I paid 450 4.5 yrs ago in crown heights.
My kallah teacher is super devoted to the kallahs/young woman.
You can call her or text her for the rest of your life unlimited.. she gives ppl hours.. she really does it for the cause and because she cares.
she does have a large family and should get the parnassa
The charge goes thru a central taharas hamishpacha organization in crown heights and they pay the kallah teachers

ecs

Post Sun, Feb 07 2016, 8:49 pm
kallah teachers devote many hours to each kallah they teach. Why aren't they entitled to a decent parnassa?

watergirl

Post Sun, Feb 07 2016, 8:52 pm
I am looking into becoming a kallah teacher, but I can not imagine charging these prices! Tell me, how many sessions do you get for $800? $1000?

ecs

Post Sun, Feb 07 2016, 8:55 pm
The people I know give around 6-8 sessions, each one lasting a couple of hours.

amother
Lilac

Post Sun, Feb 07 2016, 9:02 pm
$600... Los Angeles 2009... about 8-10 hours of lessons.

amother
Papaya

Post Sun, Feb 07 2016, 9:14 pm
500 a year and a half ago.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Feb 07 2016, 9:33 pm
watergirl wrote:
I am looking into becoming a kallah teacher, but I can not imagine charging these prices! Tell me, how many sessions do you get for $800? $1000?

For $550 I got 11/12 sessions each lasting about 2 hours.

amother
Apricot

Post Sun, Feb 07 2016, 9:38 pm
$500 in Monsey, 8 years ago. She did not have a set amount of classes, as long as it takes, it takes. I ended up being at her house about 14 times for an hour and half each.

amother
Orange

Post Sun, Feb 07 2016, 9:38 pm
amother wrote:
Boro Park. I got married 8 years ago and paid 650.
My sister got married this year and paid 950.

10-12 sessions. Around 2 hours each.

amother
Vermilion

Post Sun, Feb 07 2016, 9:49 pm
when I got engaged I asked a rebbetzin I was close with and she recommended someone, who I heard comes highly recommended. this recommended kallah teacher suggested a preliminary meeting to see if we were a "match", supposedly she does this with everyone.

she asked me a bunch of questions, like where my parents davenned, and when I told her that my parents aren't frum, she said that maybe if she would be my kallah teacher she would need to give me therapy with the kallah classes, in case I have a warped view on intimacy because I watched movies. (she is not a therapist, just a kallah tacher) and for the record, I don't have a warped view on intimacy because I didn't really watch movies before I was frum.

then she said the cost is 1000 dollars, and I maybe looked slightly shocked, and she said do you think you would be able to pay that, and I said I am not sure I have to see, and she said, well I am glad I brought that up.

then she said that the rebbetzin that recommended her to me raises money for girls to go to kallah classes so she assumes that if this rebbetzin sent me to her she can find a way for me to pay it.

(I felt like crying at this point but I controlled myself)

I called this rebbetzin who recommended me, who later on I realized is very much my way or the highway type of person, and said that is the price for kallah teachers and a kallah teacher is an investment and that is the price I have to pay.

suffice it to say, I didn't want to go to this lady anyway and did not have that kind of money.

I looked into other kallah teachers that charged less, and went to a lady who didn't really need the money, she charged 500 and gave most of it to tzedaka. I have a feeling she would have taken less if I really couldn't have paid 500.

my husband is chassidish and this was a lady in Flatbush, and I did not enjoy the experience because I felt like there was a lot of emphasis on taava and not so much on ruchnius and kedusha, like my husband and I don't hug and kiss in the dining room, and she told way too many stories, like she thought her husband was going to lift her up from the car to the apartment on the wedding night, and her great grandparents feeding each other strawberries, like putting strawberries in each other's mouths, when they were 95 years old and she started crying as she was telling this to me.

her class was geared toward Flatbush girls, and I was not, and while I can see why Flatbush girls would really like her, I wish she would have realized just by looking at me that I don't need that type of class and she doesn't need to tell me about the other girls she teaches that don't wear underwear when they sleep, etc.

sorry for the ramble, just felt like I had to get that out.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Sun, Feb 07 2016, 10:00 pm
$500 in monsey abt 2.5 years ago. I think it was something like 11 classes...

amother
Mustard

Post Sun, Feb 07 2016, 11:10 pm
$500. This was 3 1/2 years ago in Brooklyn. I am Yeshivish, but this Kallah teacher a bit more open-minded and gives classes to people who aren't as Frum (not that this was a problem, but it did create a bit of confusion when she suggested somethnig that wasn't 100% accepted in my circles). I believe that there were 5 or 6 classes and she really guided me through everything. Her husband is a Rav and ended up answering a number of Shaylos that came up when my husband's Rav wasn't avialable (long story, but it makes sense don't worry).

naturalmom5

Post Sun, Feb 07 2016, 11:45 pm
amother wrote:
when I got engaged I asked a rebbetzin I was close with and she recommended someone, who I heard comes highly recommended. this recommended kallah teacher suggested a preliminary meeting to see if we were a "match", supposedly she does this with everyone.

she asked me a bunch of questions, like where my parents davenned, and when I told her that my parents aren't frum, she said that maybe if she would be my kallah teacher she would need to give me therapy with the kallah classes, in case I have a warped view on intimacy because I watched movies. (she is not a therapist, just a kallah tacher) and for the record, I don't have a warped view on intimacy because I didn't really watch movies before I was frum.

then she said the cost is 1000 dollars, and I maybe looked slightly shocked, and she said do you think you would be able to pay that, and I said I am not sure I have to see, and she said, well I am glad I brought that up.

then she said that the rebbetzin that recommended her to me raises money for girls to go to kallah classes so she assumes that if this rebbetzin sent me to her she can find a way for me to pay it.

(I felt like crying at this point but I controlled myself)

I called this rebbetzin who recommended me, who later on I realized is very much my way or the highway type of person, and said that is the price for kallah teachers and a kallah teacher is an investment and that is the price I have to pay.

suffice it to say, I didn't want to go to this lady anyway and did not have that kind of money.

I looked into other kallah teachers that charged less, and went to a lady who didn't really need the money, she charged 500 and gave most of it to tzedaka. I have a feeling she would have taken less if I really couldn't have paid 500.

my husband is chassidish and this was a lady in Flatbush, and I did not enjoy the experience because I felt like there was a lot of emphasis on taava and not so much on ruchnius and kedusha, like my husband and I don't hug and kiss in the dining room, and she told way too many stories, like she thought her husband was going to lift her up from the car to the apartment on the wedding night, and her great grandparents feeding each other strawberries, like putting strawberries in each other's mouths, when they were 95 years old and she started crying as she was telling this to me.

her class was geared toward Flatbush girls, and I was not, and while I can see why Flatbush girls would really like her, I wish she would have realized just by looking at me that I don't need that type of class and she doesn't need to tell me about the other girls she teaches that don't wear underwear when they sleep, etc.

sorry for the ramble, just felt like I had to get that out.

That's funny I had the opposite experience. I was over 30 when I got engaged . I became frum at 19, so I was already very jaded . I didn't know much about this so I just went to who was available , some very chasidish lady in BP with a hat on her sheitl.
She kept telling me creepy things,like I asked what if you aren't in the mood for sx, so she says yoiu get yourself in the mood.
And I thought, whatever you're smoking keep it to yourself

amother
Turquoise

Post Sun, Feb 07 2016, 11:53 pm
I think I paid about 1000 shekel in Israel about 20 years ago

amother
Orchid

Post Mon, Feb 08 2016, 3:45 am
8 classes, two hours each in Passaic about a year ago. $845

sped

Post Mon, Feb 08 2016, 4:43 am
I gave her a gift. SHe didn't take any money. This is Yerushalayim, about 8 years ago.

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Feb 08 2016, 4:44 am
11 years ago in har nof. she said to give something to tzedaka. nothing to her.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics