Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Toddler climbing out of his crib

amother
Coffee

Post Mon, Jan 25 2016, 5:05 pm
My 22 months old toddler is out of his crib at 5:30 am he started climbing out of his crib now which I can't controlled anymore up until now we turned around his crib but now he can climb out from the sides. bedtime is a nightmare I'm desperate for a solution.

amother
Royalblue

Post Mon, Jan 25 2016, 6:41 pm
we put a safety door knob cover on the bedroom door, and transferred dc to a bed. We explained why we are doing this, and that it's bedtime, and when it's time to come out we will open the door. They are tired at bedtime, and for the first few days dc slept by the door, but now most mornings dc is in the bed.

amother
Aqua

Post Mon, Feb 08 2016, 10:30 am
Bed, bed, bed, is not always the answer in every situation! Some children are simply not ready and being able to get out of bed at any and all times is not an option or solution. In many cases it will make the situation worse.
Depending on the style of crib you have you can remove the metal frame on which the mattress rests and put the mattress directly on the floor, still within the confines of the four sides of the crib. But only do this if the mattress is securely in place and cannot move and there are no spaces in between that can be harmful. This lowers the mattress by quite a few inches making it much more difficult for child to climb out. Of course make sure there are no items in crib that child can pile up and step on which will help to climb out.
Of course, moving to a bed is the eventual goal, in the proper time; but some children and/or household situations benefit from the child remaining safe in its crib for longer.

abaker

Post Mon, Feb 08 2016, 12:05 pm
I'd move him to a bed or mattress on floor. With a safety gate on his doorway and make sure his room is safe. (No furniture that isn't secured so it can't tip over...no small toys that are still choking hazard etc) once he csn climb out of the crib it's not safe to leave him in it. My little cousin learned to climb out recently at just over a year old and had a minor concussion from the fall. They put her mattress on the floor and that is where she sleeps.

Heyaaa

Post Mon, Feb 08 2016, 12:19 pm
I don't know how many things you have to do in the evening so I don't know if this is possible for you.
What I find works is that I set aside an hour for bedtime with my toddler. For half hour we sit on a chair in dc room and read books and then dc knows that it's time to go in the crib no matter what. For the next half hour I sit on the chair in the room and when dc stands up or makes noise, I simply leave the room. Dc knows that the only way to get me to stay in the room is if dc tries to go to sleep. Dc bh always falls asleep within that half hour.

If I don't do the full hour routine (some days I do get away with less because dc does fall asleep right away sometimes), I know that dc will be scared of the dark and will try to climb out of the crib or will probably wake up in middle of the night with nightmares.

I don't know if it will work for you but it did work for me.

Heyaaa

Post Mon, Feb 08 2016, 12:26 pm
abaker wrote:
I'd move him to a bed or mattress on floor. With a safety gate on his doorway and make sure his room is safe. (No furniture that isn't secured so it can't tip over...no small toys that are still choking hazard etc) once he csn climb out of the crib it's not safe to leave him in it. My little cousin learned to climb out recently at just over a year old and had a minor concussion from the fall. They put her mattress on the floor and that is where she sleeps.

This is why I don't listen to people who told me to just let dc cry. dc knows how to climb out of the crib but doesn't know how to do it gracefully. When I used to leave dc in the crib, dc would scream and then try to climb out. Once dc fell out and got hurt and the other times I walked in to see dc about to fall head first. As for these people who tell me my bedtime routine is too long and I should just leave and let dc cry and scream and dc will learn, I want to ask them how badly I should let dc get hurt before dc learns that I'm not giving into the crying.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics