Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Black Tights
1  2  3  Next

amother
Brown

Post Mon, Feb 08 2016, 9:06 pm
I need some fashion help. I have a rose color dress that I want to wear to a simcha in NY, and I'm from out of town. I know I'm not supposed to wear nude tights in this weather, but am I supposed to wear black tights?

Thanks for your help.

tigerwife

Post Mon, Feb 08 2016, 9:10 pm
What about grey tights? I've worn a pink dress in the winter with grey.

Maya

Post Mon, Feb 08 2016, 9:14 pm
Why are you not supposed to wear nude? Im wearing nude to simchas most of the winter. I didn't realize it's not allowed.

cnc

Post Mon, Feb 08 2016, 9:18 pm
You can definitely wear nude.

AhuvasIma

Post Mon, Feb 08 2016, 9:21 pm
OP here. If I'm allowed to wear nude, I'm going to wear nude. The last affair I went to with nude tights in this weather, I was the only one and I felt like I was off. But if it's fashionable acceptable, then that would be great.

joy613

Post Mon, Feb 08 2016, 9:22 pm
Many women wear nude to a simcha even if they wouldn't wear on a regular shabbos.
It looks more elegant I think.

tigerwife

Post Mon, Feb 08 2016, 9:27 pm
AhuvasIma wrote:
OP here. If I'm allowed to wear nude, I'm going to wear nude. The last affair I went to with nude tights in this weather, I was the only one and I felt like I was off. But if it's fashionable acceptable, then that would be great.

It's ok even if you're the only one. What matters is that you wear it with confidence.

cm

Post Mon, Feb 08 2016, 9:37 pm
Rose with black? I don't think so.

ecs

Post Mon, Feb 08 2016, 9:40 pm
another vote for nude

1ofbillions

Post Mon, Feb 08 2016, 11:48 pm
I never wear nude during the winter... The thought never even entered my mind. Nude is for summer, black is for winter. It's so funny that so many people on this site disagree.

agreer

Post Tue, Feb 09 2016, 12:31 am
Would you wear sheer black? That would also be more elegant than black opaque.

Any colored sheer (with matching shoe) would be better than opaque.

Sadie

Post Tue, Feb 09 2016, 1:27 am
1ofbillions wrote:
I never wear nude during the winter... The thought never even entered my mind. Nude is for summer, black is for winter. It's so funny that so many people on this site disagree.

How do you determine when to switch? Do you do it on the solstice? Is there a period in your community where some women have made the switch and others haven't, and you have a mix of colors at a simcha?

Lukshen

Post Tue, Feb 09 2016, 1:32 am
I don't think black opaque is evening wear. Ever. I would never wear it to a simcha. Sheer black is better, but I think nude is usually most elegant.

DrMom

Post Tue, Feb 09 2016, 1:38 am
I would wear whatever matches the dress best. In this case, it sounds like nude is a better choice than black.

Heyaaa

Post Tue, Feb 09 2016, 1:46 am
I love the look of black or grey sheer.

I would not wear black opaque tights with a rose gold dress. I probably wouldn't wear grey opaque either to a wedding, even with a rose gold dress, although I might wear with grey tights for Shabbos.

Nude always matches. Everything goes with skin color. In certain communities they think it's a huge fashion faux pas to wear nude tights in the winter. In those communities I would more likely wear sheer black or grey, or wear a different dress.

Iymnok

Post Tue, Feb 09 2016, 3:23 am
1ofbillions wrote:

Does a winter kallah wear black tights?

Are black tights actually warmer?

baba

Post Tue, Feb 09 2016, 6:15 am
Another vote for whatever matches, which is hard to say without seeing the dress. Black doesnt just go with everything. Nude usually is ok, but isnt always the nicest option.

mommy3b2c

Post Tue, Feb 09 2016, 7:10 am
Sadie wrote:
How do you determine when to switch? Do you do it on the solstice? Is there a period in your community where some women have made the switch and others haven't, and you have a mix of colors at a simcha?

Lol. There actually is a short time when only some people have made "the switch." My sil is always calling me up to ask when she should do the switch.

To the op, it definitely is the style to wear black opaque in the winter, but that doesnt mean you have to. If you post a picture of the dress, I can give you more accurate advice.

cnc

Post Tue, Feb 09 2016, 8:18 am
mommy2b2c wrote:
Lol. There actually is a short time when only some people have made "the switch." My sil is always calling me up to ask when she should do the switch.

To the op, it definitely is the style to wear black opaque in the winter, but that doesnt mean you have to. If you post a picture of the dress, I can give you more accurate advice.

I agree that black opaque tights can be stylish with certain shoes and clothing in the winter, but please don't wear black opaque with a ROSE colored dress.
It'll most likely look awful.

amother
Turquoise

Post Tue, Feb 09 2016, 12:51 pm
Iymnok wrote:
Does a winter kallah wear black tights?

Are black tights actually warmer?

A kallah is not comparable to a guest. You wouldn't wear a huge white gown at a chasuna if you would just be a guest.
I think a kallah usually wears white tights, regardless of the season, at least it's what's done in my community. I don't think you would wear that to a chasuna either.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics