Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Time Sensitive-Funeral question

amother
Coffee

Post Mon, Feb 08 2016, 2:12 pm
Does the wife of a Kohen also have to go in a separate room for the Levaya?

mille

Post Mon, Feb 08 2016, 2:14 pm
Nope. No need. You can also go to the cemetery no problems.

Sorry for your loss.

amother
Sienna

Post Mon, Feb 08 2016, 2:19 pm
(Unless you are expecting and know that it is or might be a boy. Then it becomes a shaila.)

zohar

Post Mon, Feb 08 2016, 2:34 pm
When I was pregnant, I was told I couldn't be indoors with the meis. AYLOR

mille

Post Mon, Feb 08 2016, 2:39 pm
amother wrote:
(Unless you are expecting and know that it is or might be a boy. Then it becomes a shaila.)

Feel free to ask a shailah, but I was under the impression this is 100% minhag not halacha. Surely follow your community minhag, but I just want to point that out so as to not worry other wives of kohanim who may have been in such a situation in the past.

amother
Sienna

Post Mon, Feb 08 2016, 2:44 pm
mille wrote:
Feel free to ask a shailah, but I was under the impression this is 100% minhag not halacha. Surely follow your community minhag, but I just want to point that out so as to not worry other wives of kohanim who may have been in such a situation in the past.

As I've been told, it's a machlokes haposkim; firstly as to whether one has to find out if it's a boy (or abstain out of doubt) and secondly whether if one happens to know that she's expecting a boy, she has to abstain from coming in contact with a meis. (See, for example, http://www.koltorah.org/ravj/S......html)

Hence, my use of word "shaila." There are certainly poskim who hold that it is halacha for a pregnant wife of a Kohen expecting a boy to not come in contact with a dead person.

amother
Coffee

Post Mon, Feb 08 2016, 2:44 pm
amother wrote:

Okay thanks, that's what I thought. Someone just told me that until you're post menopause, you can't because there's always a chance you may be pregnant.

sky

Post Mon, Feb 08 2016, 5:25 pm
the pregnant issue is minhag I believe.

I am married to a kohen and go to funerals and cemeteries, even when pregnant, no matter the gender.
I was told there are enough tight layers around the baby it is okay to go into a cemetery.

chocolatecake

Post Mon, Feb 08 2016, 5:37 pm
I am married to a kohen and was told to not go into funeral homes when pregnant...I guess it depends who u ask.

momX4

Post Mon, Feb 08 2016, 5:46 pm
Im not married to a kohen and was tild not to go into a funeral home when I was very pregnant.

amother
Natural

Post Mon, Feb 08 2016, 7:48 pm
Ask lor.
I am married to a kohen and when pregnant not allowed near meis or cemetery.
I was told I was having a girl and in fact I had a boy so its good I took precautions!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions