Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Typical cost of 2nd baby? (New York)

Busymom104

Post Tue, Feb 09 2016, 10:22 am
Can anyone list the typical monthly costs that come along with a second baby? Trying to figure out my budget.. Due in July IYH with my second.

Thanks

lfab

Post Tue, Feb 09 2016, 10:34 am
I found the costs to be basically the same as with a first baby. Once you subtract the cost of baby equipment (which you most likely don't need to buy the second time around) it should be about the same. You need to budget for babysitting-cost varies depending on if you pay by the hour or month and how many hours you need. Other things to budget for are diapers, wipes, nursing pads/breast milk freezer bags or formula depending on method of feeding. The cost of these items depends on if you shop sales, shop at costco, or just buy from your local store as needed. If you give a little more info you may get more answers.

Busymom104

Post Tue, Feb 09 2016, 10:40 am
I know the cost of babysitting will be an additional 250/week
In terms of supplies I honestly don't remmeber what I spent last time around. I shop Amazon prime and will re-join costco for the formula and baby wipes. Formula is about $16 for a huge can I think it lasted a week but I don't remember. Wipes are $20 for 9 big packages which would probably last a few months. Diapers are about $35 a box from Amazon but how many do infants go through? What other costs are there?

lfab

Post Tue, Feb 09 2016, 11:41 am
Just a heads up if you haven't had a recent membership now might be a good time to rejoin costco. Livingsocial currently has a deal on a costco membership. I've found that Costco has the best prices on formula ($17-$18 dollars for a huge can). How long the can lasts depends on how much baby eats (I usually breastfeed initially so by the time I switch to formula at 6-8 months one costco can lasts about a week to 10 days. I would assume it lasts longer at the beginning when baby doesn't eat as much). In terms of diapers I find they go through 8-10 diapers a day as newborns and slows down to 5-7 as they get older. I personally like the target brand wipes which are about $14 for a case of 800 (8 packs of 100). I find I use about 1 pack a week. You also need to budget for things like baby soap, diaper rash cream, clothes (if not the same gender as previous child or you no longer have those clothes).
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics