Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Need to renege on a verbal agreement

amother
Forestgreen

Post Tue, Feb 09 2016, 8:47 am
With regards to renting an office.
I went to put some things down and realised that the noise from the playground next door will severely effect my career negatively.
by definition my work requires a certain level of quiet. The structure blocks out absolutely no noise.

I hate going back on my word but this could stop me getting and keep clients.

Wwyd

lfab

Post Tue, Feb 09 2016, 8:53 am
Explain the situation to the landlord. Then, if you can afford to, offer to pay for this month's rent anyway in order to give the landlord time to find a new tenant without losing money.

causemommysaid

Post Tue, Feb 09 2016, 8:55 am
lfab wrote:
Explain the situation to the landlord. Then, if you can afford to, offer to pay for this month's rent anyway in order to give the landlord time to find a new tenant without losing money.

There is no contract. Why would she have to pay the rent?

Heyaaa

Post Tue, Feb 09 2016, 9:34 am
With real estate, until the minute the contract is signed, it can be snatched out from under your feet. As long as you didn't sign, the landlord could've given it to someone else.

It happens to be you're the one who backed out but the fact is he could've too. You could buy him a gift if you'd like but there was no contract so I don't think you're responsible for anything.

lfab

Post Tue, Feb 09 2016, 9:57 am
causemommysaid wrote:
There is no contract. Why would she have to pay the rent?

She obviously doesn't have to pay. However, if she can afford to it may be the menshlich thing to do as she is pulling out at the last minute. Had she not verbally agreed to take the space he may have continued showing it to others and one of them may have ended up renting it instead.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Tue, Feb 09 2016, 11:57 am
I haven't signed a contract yet. I feel bad going against the verbal agreement. But it will cause a big loss for me. Question
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics