Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
LI/Queens area school good environment for young teachers

amother
Cyan

Post Wed, Feb 03 2016, 9:10 pm
We are going to be moving to the area and I am starting to look for a new job for next year. I am in my late 20's and have been teaching for several years. The school that I currently work in is not a mother friendly environment. When out on maternity leave you are constantly harassed into coming back early, taking six weeks takes a lot of stubbornness. They pretend that they support pumping, but most of the time they don't have a room or coverage. Obviously students come first, but working in a school where I'm being denied basic legal things is frustrating and depressing. Especially since it is a frum school. Does this exist? Otherwise I think I'm going to start looking into a different career which is sad as I love teaching.

jewish613

Post Wed, Feb 03 2016, 9:36 pm
What age do you teach? Pre-school? Elementary? HS?

amother
Cyan

Post Wed, Feb 03 2016, 9:44 pm
Elementary

amother
Khaki

Post Tue, Feb 09 2016, 3:12 pm
Yes, I teach in a Queens area school and while it is challenging, the school is very accommodating of teachers juggling teaching and motherhood. I am going on maternity leave very soon, and my supervisor has been very understanding of my situation. I have been given extra support/assistants now, at the end of my pregnancy, so I don't have to walk up steps, run around by recess, etc. They are also understanding that I will come back when I feel comfortable to come back (which likely will be more than the "standard" 6 weeks), when I have a babysitter I feel comfortable with, etc.

The challenge is always making sure assistants show up post-maternity leave on schedule with my pumping breaks.

amother
Cyan

Post Tue, Feb 09 2016, 6:40 pm
amother wrote:
Yes, I teach in a Queens area school and while it is challenging, the school is very accommodating of teachers juggling teaching and motherhood. I am going on maternity leave very soon, and my supervisor has been very understanding of my situation. I have been given extra support/assistants now, at the end of my pregnancy, so I don't have to walk up steps, run around by recess, etc. They are also understanding that I will come back when I feel comfortable to come back (which likely will be more than the "standard" 6 weeks), when I have a babysitter I feel comfortable with, etc.

The challenge is always making sure assistants show up post-maternity leave on schedule with my pumping breaks.

Would you mind sharing which school?

amother
Khaki

Post Tue, Feb 09 2016, 9:42 pm
I'd feel more comfortable PMing you with more details.

amother
Cyan

Post Wed, Feb 10 2016, 8:34 pm
You cant pm anonymously but you can send me an email to imamother1234@gmail.com just made it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics