Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Classroom games

piegirl

Post Tue, Feb 09 2016, 2:58 pm
What games can a teacher play with sixth grade boys? Like hangman, jeopardy

singleagain

Post Tue, Feb 09 2016, 3:06 pm
are you playing games as a way to review for a test, to teach or just for a break?

piegirl

Post Tue, Feb 09 2016, 4:12 pm
Review and for breaks

amother
Salmon

Post Tue, Feb 09 2016, 4:21 pm
I did this a lot when I taught.
Have a list of questions, could be on cards, or not.
Split the class in 2 teams.
Play tic tack toe, on the board.
If the person gets the question right he gets a chance.
If not the other team gets a chance to answer.
If the other team does not answer correctly, the teacher says the answer, and puts the question back in the pile.

Very little prep, and I usually used the same questions that would be on the test.

groisamomma

Post Tue, Feb 09 2016, 5:19 pm
I team them up for Memory, two different color cards lined up usually 4x4. If they get the answer correct on the yellow card then they can pick a blue one and see if they match. If not then they put both back and the next pair tries. I use the questions from the test and each set is worth 2 points of extra credit. I usually throw in a Bonus set so they are excited to find the free set.

Set desks up in rows and put a numbered index card face down on each desk (mixed up order). Kids box their papers into #1-25 and when you ring the bell flip over the card and solve. They write the answer in the corresponding space on their sheet. Timer rings they move to the next seat, solve and keep going until their boxes are filled.

"I Have, Who Has...?" Write problems on index cards then write the answers on the backs of the cards (answers should not match problems on the same card.) One kid begins by announcing his problem. Kids solve then check if their answer matches the card they have. The one that has the corresponding answer on the back of their card reads their problem aloud, keep going until every child had their card called.

Kids work in groups of 3 for this one. In a large open room (I use the cafeteria) place envelopes with math problems inside (as many groups as you have so each group gets one) at every station. Then use colored paper to display answers one at each station. They solve their station then find the station with their answer and solve that station and move to the next station with that answer, etc. It's like a scavenger hunt. Open envelope, solve, then go to the station with your answer displayed. Keep moving until all station envelopes are used up.

This is not a game but I tried it last month and the kids liked it. They each got a problem to solve. Then they took turns explaining it at the board while a different student used the ipad to video it. After all kids were done we watched the whole video. The kids liked it and they didn't even notice they were watching math.

This one is "Who Wants to be a Millionaire" with a twist. It's another one they like. Class is divided in five groups. One rep from each group solves the problem and leaves their answer face down until timer rings. Each team is allowed 1 Pass and 1 Ask the Group. Group members usually solve quietly just in case they have to use the Ask the Group and time is limited. Teams get points for each correct answer.

I can check in school if you need any more. There are many templates--ready ones and customizable--for Jeopardy online.

seeker

Post Tue, Feb 09 2016, 5:45 pm
What subject(s)?

groisamomma

Post Tue, Feb 09 2016, 8:26 pm
seeker wrote:
What subject(s)?

I assumed math. Doesn't the whole world revolve around it? Wink
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics