Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
One sink?

amother
Aquamarine

Post Mon, Feb 08 2016, 11:48 pm
Hi,
We are moving and our new apartment only has one sink in the kitchen.
How do you do that kashrut wise?
Any tips is appreciated!
Thanks!

amother
Mauve

Post Tue, Feb 09 2016, 12:11 am
Most people, for generations (ok, since indoor plumbing), have only had one sink. It isn't required or even necessary to have two. While nice, it is a luxury.
We use buckets, one for each "flavor". Fill with dishes, wash then switch them and repeat. We just don't let dishes sit around- it ends up neater to do them after each meal

cm

Post Tue, Feb 09 2016, 2:46 am
Use plastic washbasins. They are made in several sizes; choose the size that fits neatly into your sink but still gives you a few inches on the side so you can turn on the water and it can flow to the side if the basin and down the drain if you like. Place dirty things in the basin, not directly in the sink.

For a meat meal, for example, place your neat basin in the sink. Wash up right away or it gets complicated. It helps to have a dish drying rack so you don't have to dry everything. As soon as you are done washing up, dump out the basin and let it dry.

To switch to dairy, place your meat basin, rack, sponge, etc under the sink and use your dairy things.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Tue, Feb 09 2016, 2:51 am
Do I have to use the plastic buckets?
How about an metal rack in the sink for meat and another for dairy? Not good cuz it will touch the sink?
I probably sound ridiculous but I've always had 2 separate sinks, how will I manage?

Rappel

Post Tue, Feb 09 2016, 2:58 am
I grew up with one sink.

We never washed dishes with yad soledet bo water, and we never put our dishes in the sink. Instead, we kept large wash basins on the side, would fill them up with water and soap when we had to do a large amount of dishes, and then would place the dishes in there and rinse them under running water. Presto!

newmother

Post Tue, Feb 09 2016, 3:04 am
amother wrote:
Do I have to use the plastic buckets?
How about an iron rack in the sink for meat and another for dairy? Not good cuz it will touch the sink?
I probably sound ridiculous but I've always had 2 separate sinks, how will I manage?

No. I have two sink racks one for milxhigs one for fleshigs (they look different) We put dishes on top of the rack and then use the sink normally

Ruchel

Post Tue, Feb 09 2016, 8:30 am
One basin, or two inserts, or water under 41 degree C. Ask a shaila. It's the norm for many.

amother
Sienna

Post Tue, Feb 09 2016, 8:47 am
I never just leave dishes in the sink. dirty dishes go on the counter (disgusting, but gets me to wash them much faster, they don't sit. )

When washing lots of dishes I use a metal rack on the bottom so I can load the sink and wash efficiently. When washing one or 2 I just hold it and wash without every putting down into the sink.

I have a large sink and purchased an extra high nozzle so I have a lot of room to wash without having to put down the item.

Before switching, I make sure the sink is very clean and clean it out well and make sure drain is clean and empty. (have to be careful even if not putting down dishes that not heating milk and meat in together)

Rubber Ducky

Post Tue, Feb 09 2016, 8:51 am
Sink liners or grids like this:
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Topped with a tub when you need a basin full of hot sudsy water, like this:
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I lived in one sink kitchens for many years and over time acquired basins in different colors like red, green, and blue. Color coding will help prevent mistakes.

Clean your sink when changing genders.

cbg

Post Tue, Feb 09 2016, 9:03 am
I know for Pesach they sell sink inserts. The good thing about the sink insert is that they come labled Basar and Chalav. Also they have a hole in the bottom that is suppose to fit by the drain (doesn't always line up that way). If it does fit, it's a good thing, because this way you don't have to pick up a heavy basin full of water (for me it's heavy) to drain the basin. You can always custom make a hole yourself in the basin to fit the drain. Make it small enough to fit a stopper. The ones you buy at the dollar store.

Jk2018

Post Wed, Feb 10 2016, 6:21 am
We were told by our rav to use sink racks but to make sure to clean the sink in between (I use comet powder or stainless steal spray). This is because if something falls under the rack, it is still kosher
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen