Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
Did anyone read "The life-changing magic of tidying up"
Previous  1  2  3

zigi

Post Wed, Feb 10 2016, 12:32 pm
I do think that her method of talking to the item that you are discarding could be helpful. that you acknowledge that you no longer need it. but the item represented something - clothes you fit into when you were a kallah etc. close the chapter with them and then get rid of the item.

I do firmly believe in having cases of tp paper towels and diapes and wipes in the house. not interest in running out at midnight. or even the head ache of being top of having enough from week to week. bh for closet space

amother
Goldenrod

Post Wed, Feb 10 2016, 5:14 pm
zigi wrote:
I do think that her method of talking to the item that you are discarding could be helpful.

I am not about to start talking to my clothes! I don't even talk to my plants, and they at least are living things, if not exactly sentient beings. Inanimate objects are just that--inanimate. It works for Ms. Kondo because Japanese culture is animistic and every object has its spirit or god or what have you.

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Feb 29 2016, 2:25 pm
amother wrote:
I am not about to start talking to my clothes! I don't even talk to my plants, and they at least are living things, if not exactly sentient beings. Inanimate objects are just that--inanimate. It works for Ms. Kondo because Japanese culture is animistic and every object has its spirit or god or what have you.

Yes. I'm reading the sequel, Spark Joy. I'm almost at the end and she mentions something about 800,000 different gods, don't remember the context, that was the page I was about to start.
I might try her method for folding sweaters. The rest doesn't work for me. In fact, quite ironically, I was moved to go through my sock drawer and instead of pairing them by folding the top of one over the top of another, and grabbing one sock and losing another, I decided to ball them. I felt so great, so at peace. In the sequel, she says that "knotting or balling socks is cruel. Please stop immediately."

And she mentions that time as a teen when she was banned from tidying other people's stuff as she gave away so much. Again, she could have sounded like she committed a greater moral outrage than balling socks. But OTOH, she talks about her pride in her zero recidivism rate, and when that - both the pride and recidivism - came to an end, and in her humility, she sounds very human and likeable. I don't think all her methods would work for us but I think there is a lot to learn and be inspired by.

zaq

Post Mon, Feb 29 2016, 4:59 pm
You didn't say "naaseh venishma" about this book. As Fagin told the boys in "Oliver": "Take the best and leave the rest." As with any other self-help book from The Joy of Cooking to The Joy of S*x, use what makes sense and works for you, ignore the remainder.

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Feb 29 2016, 5:07 pm
Zaq: Very Happy

It is a fascinating and somewhat inspiring series. In this book she seems to expand her definition of joy and fully allows keeping things that aren't terribly useful or practical. Her thesis is that after going through clothes, the easiest category, one has practice deciding what sparks joy and what can be discarded, and so from one category of household items to the next, so you can increasingly trust yourself in the keeping/discarding decision.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics