Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Real napkins without napkin rings

CutiePatutie

Post Thu, Dec 30 2010, 2:54 pm
is it strange to use real (cloth) napkins without napkin rings? its a long story but my napkin rings are not in my house and I wanna use real napkins for shabbos, but how do u do it without the rings? anyone ever does it? does it look strange? how would I set it?

frumamn

Post Thu, Dec 30 2010, 2:57 pm
http://www.napkinfoldingguide.com/

I do it every shabbos. this website gives you step-by-step instructions on how to fold napkins nicely.

Fox

Post Thu, Dec 30 2010, 3:39 pm
Yup, I always use cloth napkins on Shabbos and Yom Tov, and although we've settled down to a few basic folds, my kids loved experimenting with all the different designs when they were younger.

Here's a little trivia: not only is it normal for people to use cloth napkins without napkin rings, it's actually more normal in our day and age. Why? The original purpose of napkin rings was not decorative, as many people assume. The real purpose was to distinguish each family member's napkin -- because napkins weren't washed after every meal! This is where the concept of monogrammed or uniquely decorated rings came from; each family member had a different "symon" for his/her napkin.

Nowadays, those of us who use cloth napkins generally wash them between uses, so napkin rings lost their utilitarian purpose. So think of it this way: when you don't use napkin rings, you're really saying to your guests, "That's okay! We wash our napkins after each use!"

artikidove

Post Thu, Dec 30 2010, 6:59 pm
when I am to lazy to use my napkin rings or fiddle with oragami I elegantly set the napkins in the glasses. it adds a lot to the table

L K

Post Wed, Feb 10 2016, 9:07 am
What type of material or brand washes well, and how do you keep them clean?

Iymnok

Post Wed, Feb 10 2016, 9:13 am
Just fold them nicely and pu them across the plate, by the forks or on/by the glass. I find on the plate most conducive to fun folds. A flat fold works well next to or under the forks. Something tall should be next to the cup.
I usually do a fan or triangle on the plate.

Fox

Post Wed, Feb 10 2016, 12:27 pm
L K wrote:
What type of material or brand washes well, and how do you keep them clean?

I buy mine from a company called Bright Settings (www.BrightSettings.com). They sell by the dozen, and a dozen napkins starts at around $35.

I always buy two dozen at a time. Though I seldom actually serve 24 people at once, having a large number of matching napkins is much more convenient. An individual napkin can be thrown away without ruining the set if it becomes too badly stained or damaged, and 24 ensures that you have enough for two meals or more. I have one partial set that I purchased in 2008 and still use regularly.

The most important thing, I've found, is to get good polyester napkins that can be easily washed along with other laundry and don't require ironing. At the same time, you want them to be at least a little absorbent and look like cotton or linen. I've tried cloth napkins from Sam's Club, but they require ironing -- a definite deal-breaker in my book.

My own personal preference is to use a white/ecru tablecloth on Shabbos and Yom Tov with contrasting napkins in more vivid colors. I have some fancy black ones with silver dots; navy; pink, which look great in spring and summer; gold damask, etc. I love the look of matched linen sets, but, like dressing children in matching outfits, it's apparently beyond my organizational abilities.

BTW, Bright Settings is also a good source for tablecloths. If you live in Brooklyn, this will be of little interest to you -- you've got plenty of options, probably within walking distance. If you live OOT or just want something unique, though, it's a nice option. Last Chanukah I bought a washable royal blue organza-type overlay, and it looked great. They've also got chair covers, table skirts, and all kinds of other table linen stuff.

greenfire

Post Wed, Feb 10 2016, 1:06 pm
when I use real cloth napkins, I use them much the same I use paper napkins ... only I wash them [use baking soda & vinegar to release any stains]

my personal taste is to avoid napkin rings ... I find them tacky

Fox

Post Wed, Feb 10 2016, 1:53 pm
greenfire wrote:
... only I wash them [use baking soda & vinegar to release any stains]

That's an excellent idea. I usually don't have a particular problem with stains, but I like the idea of making them smell fresher and releasing any built-up residues. I once read that adding a little Borax to the wash is also a good way to keep table linens fresher. I did it until I ran out of Borax and forgot to replace it!

MagentaYenta

Post Wed, Feb 10 2016, 2:33 pm
I use cotton, have for years, I buy them at BBB on sale or at a couple other stores in town. I've never had a problem with stains.

L K

Post Wed, Feb 10 2016, 3:36 pm
Fox wrote:
I buy mine from a company called Bright Settings (www.BrightSettings.com). They sell by the dozen, and a dozen napkins starts at around $35.

I always buy two dozen at a time. Though I seldom actually serve 24 people at once, having a large number of matching napkins is much more convenient. An individual napkin can be thrown away without ruining the set if it becomes too badly stained or damaged, and 24 ensures that you have enough for two meals or more. I have one partial set that I purchased in 2008 and still use regularly.

The most important thing, I've found, is to get good polyester napkins that can be easily washed along with other laundry and don't require ironing. At the same time, you want them to be at least a little absorbent and look like cotton or linen. I've tried cloth napkins from Sam's Club, but they require ironing -- a definite deal-breaker in my book.

My own personal preference is to use a white/ecru tablecloth on Shabbos and Yom Tov with contrasting napkins in more vivid colors. I have some fancy black ones with silver dots; navy; pink, which look great in spring and summer; gold damask, etc. I love the look of matched linen sets, but, like dressing children in matching outfits, it's apparently beyond my organizational abilities.

BTW, Bright Settings is also a good source for tablecloths. If you live in Brooklyn, this will be of little interest to you -- you've got plenty of options, probably within walking distance. If you live OOT or just want something unique, though, it's a nice option. Last Chanukah I bought a washable royal blue organza-type overlay, and it looked great. They've also got chair covers, table skirts, and all kinds of other table linen stuff.

Fox, all excellent points - thank you!
And I like your idea of using a light tablecloth and contrasting napkins.

I'm now trying to figure out what to use for tableware, and brightening accessories, possibly using chargers may make it possible to make plain white plates work.

Is good polyester the "basic" or "spun" one that's on brightsettings?

ra_mom

Post Wed, Feb 10 2016, 3:43 pm
Fold napkin into a long strip, kind of like ribbon look.
Arrange cutlery over dinner plate. Arrange folded napkin over middle of cutlery (should only cover about 1-2 inch middle of cutlery). Tuck sides under both sides of plate.
I should have a photo on my phone. Feel free to pm me and I can send a sample via mobile device.

Last edited by ra_mom on Wed, Feb 10 2016, 5:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

zaq

Post Wed, Feb 10 2016, 5:02 pm
I fail to see the point of napkin rings. People think they are oh-so-classy, but do you know their history? They were developed before the advent of paper napkins and wash machines, when linens had to be washed by hand like everything else. To save on laundry, people would reuse their napkins for several meals, if not longer. To ensure that each person reused his or her own napkin, the napkins were rolled up and stuffed into rings, with each person having a slightly different one, with a design or initials or what have you. There is a scene in Life With Father in which the mother explains to the new maid which napkin ring belongs to which family member. Real classy, eh?

With the advent of the wash machine, it is to be dearly hoped that no one is reusing napkins without washing them first. So the rings are totally superfluous and just add more clutter to the table.

Fox

Post Wed, Feb 10 2016, 7:18 pm
L K wrote:
Is good polyester the "basic" or "spun" one that's on brightsettings?

I have a "spun polyester" set and I also have some made out of the "Diamante" fabric:

Diamante

The Diamante napkins are indestrutible -- I've had them since 2006 and they still look really sharp. They were a bit pricey (I originally got them for a bar mitzvah), but they're real workhorses!

They'll send you free 6" x 6" samples for $1.95 shipping, and it's probably a good idea to test how the sample behaves at the table and in the wash.

One thing I'll mention about Bright Settings in general: their prices may seem a little funky because they're based on how much fabric will be wasted given the width of the fabric versus what you want. Therefore, 20" x 20" napkins cut from a 70" wide fabric will be cheaper than those cut from a 58" fabric. I happen to need a wide tablecloth, so if I select a fabric that's 70" wide, I'll get a bargain. If I select a fabric that's 130" wide, not so much.

Fox

Post Wed, Feb 10 2016, 7:28 pm
zaq wrote:
With the advent of the wash machine, it is to be dearly hoped that no one is reusing napkins without washing them first. So the rings are totally superfluous and just add more clutter to the table.

This has long been my argument.

In fact, we once had a passive-aggressive guest who said in a snarky tone, "Oh, such a pretty table. You don't use napkin rings, though?" I may or may not have said, "No, Boruch Hashem, we have a washing machine, so I don't re-use them from meal to meal."

Just for those of you who are being dan l'chav zchus, this treasure also commented when I brought out a homemade cake, said, "I hope you don't use that awful canned frosting." She was no doubt a nice girl at heart, but she was the kind of young single who has a great many opinions about how things should be done and no experience actually doing them.

However, my DDs claim that I'm being ridiculously old fashioned and that everybody, simply everybody, uses napkin rings nowadays. They also claim that I'm the only one on earth who knows the esoteric history of napkin rings. I shall be delighted to inform them that they are wrong: Zaq and Greenie know, too. That makes three of us!

cm

Post Wed, Feb 10 2016, 8:30 pm
Fox wrote:

However, my DDs claim that I'm being ridiculously old fashioned and that everybody, simply everybody, uses napkin rings nowadays. They also claim that I'm the only one on earth who knows the esoteric history of napkin rings. I shall be delighted to inform them that they are wrong: Zaq and Greenie know, too. That makes three of us!

Four, actually. I was going to respond to the original post, but you beat me to it!

I recall napkin rings being very stylish in my childhood (1970's), but I haven't seen them in use in decades. Perhaps my friends and I are missing a tabletop-fashion trend.

greenfire

Post Wed, Feb 10 2016, 9:31 pm
Fox wrote:
This has long been my argument.

lol I had no idea of their history just of their tackiness

but I do wonder how handkerchiefs were placed in one's pocket after using it over & over again ... although there are some fine delicately embroidered ones out there that surely seem loverly ~ especially when a handsome man hands you his hanky as a romantic gesture ~ thank god for kleenex

Ruchel

Post Thu, Feb 11 2016, 11:34 am
We just fold and put the napkins. I find pliages AND rings weird... very not common.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics