Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Do u wear tights in the summer
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

gold21

Post Wed, Feb 10 2016, 11:55 am
greenfire wrote:
don't wear tights in the winter either

Different weather conditions should allow for different clothing choices.

greenfire

Post Wed, Feb 10 2016, 1:13 pm
gold21 wrote:
Different weather conditions should allow for different clothing choices.

maybe for some, but I can only wear cotton & I do so year round ... I might add leggings & a scarf in the winter but I am also quite hot blooded

what you might wear for winter I might NEVER dream of

finallyamommy

Post Wed, Feb 10 2016, 5:27 pm
saw50st8 wrote:
That's correct. I don't wear tights in any weather, unless it's a fancy wedding or I'm giving a big presentation, because it's not halachically required.

Right, and that's how you hold, and as far as I have ever learned that is a legitimate halachic position, though not one my rabbonim (or I) hold. But if one holds that tights are necessary for tznius, then yes that applies in the summer too, was my point.

finallyamommy

Post Wed, Feb 10 2016, 5:28 pm
naturalmom5 wrote:
Neither do self-righteous tirades

Excuse me? If you know differently, and have a source for tights being necessary in winter but not summer, then by all means bring it. As far as I know, they are either required or not, year-round. How on earth is that a tirade, for goodness sake?

bigsis144

Post Wed, Feb 10 2016, 5:52 pm
esheschayil wrote:
Excuse me? If you know differently, and have a source for tights being necessary in winter but not summer, then by all means bring it. As far as I know, they are either required or not, year-round. How on earth is that a tirade, for goodness sake?

I hold that leg coverings are required year round, and that semi-sheer stockings COUNT as a leg covering. (It makes no sense to me, but whatever, that's what my kehillah holds and I'm not frummer than my chumash teachers.)

I don't wear sheer tights most of the winter due to warmth (and so that I can go longer between shaving my legs in a socially approved manner Wink.

It has nothing to do with tznius requirements being different in different seasons?

So that's why your answer came across as snarky.

Volunteer

Post Wed, Feb 10 2016, 6:09 pm
I learned in my figure skating days that nylon + sweat = wicked rash. I switched to cotton leggings for skating and have never worn nylon on my legs since.
It's cotton tights in winter, ankle socks in summer.
I wear long skirts, and only occasionally knee length. Mid calf skirts look terrible on me anyway (chunky dancers calves...).

gold21

Post Wed, Feb 10 2016, 7:59 pm
greenfire wrote:
maybe for some, but I can only wear cotton & I do so year round ... I might add leggings & a scarf in the winter but I am also quite hot blooded

what you might wear for winter I might NEVER dream of

Smart! Tights in general are probably best skipped. I personally wear them in the winter for warmth. But if you can manage without, Thumbs Up

fmt4

Post Wed, Feb 10 2016, 8:17 pm
No, except perhaps on shabbos or to a wedding or another event, just because it looks better and heels stay on better. But otherwise yuck. Makes me feel sweaty and gross.
In winter I wear black tights every day though.

courage2218

Post Wed, Feb 10 2016, 10:05 pm
I have had somewhat good experience with palm tights. But they have seams in them and are more for chassidishe oriented crowd. I ended up getting a bad batch at the end of last summer where all of them ripped in crotch after first wear. need to get new tights in a few weeks to replace them all...

cnc

Post Wed, Feb 10 2016, 10:09 pm
Gold21,
Your attitude makes me smile!

amother
Silver

Post Wed, Feb 10 2016, 10:38 pm
courage2218 wrote:
I have had somewhat good experience with palm tights. But they have seams in them and are more for chassidishe oriented crowd. I ended up getting a bad batch at the end of last summer where all of them ripped in crotch after first wear. need to get new tights in a few weeks to replace them all...

Palm has with or without seams. If they all ripped at the crotch, you maybe need to size up.

courage2218

Post Wed, Feb 10 2016, 10:43 pm
ok

gold21

Post Wed, Feb 10 2016, 10:44 pm
cnc wrote:
Gold21,
Your attitude makes me smile!

Thank you!
Now I smiled.
Wink

GAP

Post Wed, Feb 10 2016, 11:11 pm
There is nothing I hate more than tights. No tights in the summer, leggings in the winter. I do everything I can to avoid them.

Riki12345

Post Thu, Feb 11 2016, 11:03 am
I would love to ditch my bullet proof tights and go without them Confused
And how come lately all threads are obsessed with socks Rolling Eyes

Ruchel

Post Thu, Feb 11 2016, 11:48 am
I wear tights (nude, 99% of the time) all year but when I didn't I didn't wear them unless an outfit called for it. I can do in 0 degrees bare legged.
I dislike leggings a lot.

thunderstorm

Post Thu, Feb 11 2016, 1:32 pm
When I wear maxi skirts I wear socks otherwise I wear sheer pantyhose. I actually like wearing pantyhose as opposed to socks because I am a bit zaftig in my inner pulkes and they rub each other causing a rash and burning...the pantyhose acts as a buffer between my to rubbing thighs.

nyer1

Post Thu, Feb 11 2016, 1:39 pm
depends where im going. shabbos, to shul? yes. an outing in brooklyn or manhattan? yes. walking around my own town w the baby or for camp pick up? no. boardwalk? no. my friend's backyard / pool? no. I guess it depends who I'm seeing that day Wink no real minhag here either way - I live in a very open community where everyone does something different

amother
Periwinkle

Post Thu, Feb 11 2016, 2:22 pm
Bizzydizzymommy wrote:
When I wear maxi skirts I wear socks otherwise I wear sheer pantyhose. I actually like wearing pantyhose as opposed to socks because I am a bit zaftig in my inner pulkes and they rub each other causing a rash and burning...the pantyhose acts as a buffer between my to rubbing thighs.

same here, socks with long skirts, pantyhose with knee length skirts. I don't find that the pantyhose prevent chafing, if anything, they act as kindling to the fire. my winter opaques don't do that. I often wear shorts over my pantyhose.
yes, tights in the summer make me hot. no, I won't stop wearing them because it's my minhag hamakom. no, I don't think you're doing anything halachically wrong if you don't wear pantyhose. yes, the nylons come right off as soon as I walk through the door. and sheitlach are also a pain in the summer. I'm a major shvitzer, especially in new york's unforgiving summer humidity.

silbergirl

Post Mon, Feb 22 2016, 12:31 pm
I wear the 40-60 den usually also in the summer. Unless its super hot, then I switch to darker tan 20den. The European 20den are quite opaque, more like the regular 40 den in Israel.
Page 4 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics