Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Help me help my son know when he can get out of bed

Sparkle

Post Wed, Feb 10 2016, 11:02 pm
My three year old gets up very early. He's very self sufficient and goes downstairs, helps himself to a fruit, and plays with is toys in the living room until the rest of us wake up (I know, I know...believe me, I paid my "get up at the crack of dawn" dues with my three older kids).
Here's the problem. He's getting up earlier and earlier, and since it's pretty dark here even at 6:30/7:00 I think the problem is he just doesn't know when it's morning. Today he was up around 4:30. He's a dream, and is completely fine on his own - but he fell apart in the afternoon around 3 because he was just so exhausted.
How can he figure out when he can get up in the AM, and when he just needs to roll over and go back to sleep if he doesn't know his numbers yet and can't tell time?

Rubber Ducky

Post Wed, Feb 10 2016, 11:18 pm
Would one of these specialty toddler clocks work for him? They use easy to understand graphics and lights, such as a green light meaning it's OK to get up. http://smile.amazon.com/s/ref=.....clock

Sparkle

Post Wed, Feb 10 2016, 11:21 pm
You are brilliant! I never even knew such a thing existed, lol.
I'm buying it now.
We can close the thread :-)

amother
Silver

Post Wed, Feb 10 2016, 11:33 pm
When my son was three we also had this problem. I had bought an analog clock with a removable face. I put a sticker on the number seven and another matching sticker on the hour hand, put the clock back together and hung up the clock. I told my son thst he can only come out of bed when the two stickers meet
My son now understood when morning was

seeker

Post Thu, Feb 11 2016, 1:29 am
Google "OK to Wake," I think that's what it's called. A clock with a light that changes color at the time you set to wake up. If it's still the sleep color they have to go back to bed.

sky

Post Thu, Feb 11 2016, 9:28 am
Enjoy your clock. It worked wonders for me, I just told someone to buy it and she said it has made a huge difference.

blossoming flower

Post Thu, Feb 11 2016, 9:41 pm
I got this for my son:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/produ.....4_s00

Works great!

yaeli83

Post Thu, Feb 11 2016, 9:48 pm
Fyi I bought the ok to wake clock at target for my son. If you live near a target, you might want to check if they sell it. It might be quicker for you to get it that way.

busydev

Post Thu, Feb 11 2016, 10:14 pm
We have the traffic light OK to wake. When it was new he was great with it, then it wore off so every so often I need to make a chart and give stickers to whoever is still in bed at "green light" and then it works for a month or two, rinse, repeat
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers