Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Chicken soup is not fleishig?
Previous  1  2  3

yogabird

Post Thu, Feb 11 2016, 11:43 am
amother wrote:
OP here.
To clarify, the idea of chicken being not really meat is not relevant here as he said same for beef broth.
DH is taking semicha classes which is where he learned this.
B"H he has let go of this and understands that this is NOT what we will be doing in our home.
No, he is not lenient about things in general at all. I think he just got excited and carried away with what he learned.

I'd have serious concerns about the quality of this semicha program if they're not making it crystal clear that SA can not be learned without Rema and that we generally pasken like Rema if he is cholek on SA.

amother
Aubergine

Post Thu, Feb 11 2016, 11:47 am
amother wrote:
OP here.
To clarify, the idea of chicken being not really meat is not relevant here as he said same for beef broth.
DH is taking semicha classes which is where he learned this.

OP, can you please name the Yeshiva where they teach that this is ok? I dont believe its Lashon Hara, if thats what they say openly and believe.

Is it by any chance maybe a unique Smicha program like R' Avi Weiss at Chovevei Torah? I dont want to besmirch anyone, becaue every Rov has different Psaks, and followers who follow those Psaks, and theyre entitled. Its a free country and there are many levels and walks of Judaism.

naturalmom5

Post Thu, Feb 11 2016, 2:30 pm
I asked my husband

He wants to know what kind of smicha pgm doesn't learn the prima godin and shach and taz clearly inside

What about taam c ikkar

amother
Vermilion

Post Thu, Feb 11 2016, 2:44 pm
My husband has been learning this topic as well. It's a machlokes in shulchan aruch, and yes the rema paskens that we should be machmir and wait. However, often sefardim will follow the mechaber and not the rema. There is no reason to think this is an inferior semicha program. Of course they would learn both sides. Just because you never heard of it or don't follow it, does not mean this opinion doesn't exist and cannot be relied on by some.

amother
Aubergine

Post Thu, Feb 11 2016, 2:51 pm
amother wrote:
My husband has been learning this topic as well. It's a machlokes in shulchan aruch, and yes the rema paskens that we should be machmir and wait. However, often sefardim will follow the mechaber and not the rema. There is no reason to think this is an inferior semicha program. Of course they would learn both sides. Just because you never heard of it or don't follow it, does not mean this opinion doesn't exist and cannot be relied on by some.

All true, but whichever Smicha program teaches that this is totally acceptable in 2016, for their followers, has zero reason to keep it a secret. Which Smicha program is it?

yogabird

Post Thu, Feb 11 2016, 3:25 pm
amother wrote:

They should learn both sides, and then they should learn how we pasken l'maaseh.

Isn't semicha for the express purpose of paskening practically?

myself

Post Thu, Feb 11 2016, 4:37 pm
We can't fault the semicha program just yet. Perhaps OP's DH zoned out a little in middle and didn't concentrate on what was being taught. Perhaps the material hasn't been completed yet and the subject will still be reviewed at length.

yogabird

Post Thu, Feb 11 2016, 5:36 pm
myself wrote:
We can't fault the semicha program just yet. Perhaps OP's DH zoned out a little in middle and didn't concentrate on what was being taught. Perhaps the material hasn't been completed yet and the subject will still be reviewed at length.

Anything's possible, but I still think it should still have been clear that nobody today follows the SA on this matter. How else do you learn halacha in a semicha program if not SA and poskim?

myself

Post Fri, Feb 12 2016, 7:08 am
yogabird wrote:
Anything's possible, but I still think it should still have been clear that nobody today follows the SA on this matter. How else do you learn halacha in a semicha program if not SA and poskim?

I agree that it's peculiar. OP's DH isn't paskening yet though. Semicha requires rigorous testing so I'm assuming such a mistake is impossible at that stage.

imasoftov

Post Fri, Feb 12 2016, 7:43 am
myself wrote:
I agree that it's peculiar. OP's DH isn't paskening yet though. Semicha requires rigorous testing so I'm assuming such a mistake is impossible at that stage.

How could any amount of testing ensure that mistakes are impossible? And that no one might later forget what they knew when they took the exam?

amother
Aubergine

Post Fri, Feb 12 2016, 8:09 am
Something is not right here.

Why is OP being so protective/secretive about which Smicha program this is, if DH is so sure that thats what he was taught? There have to be many other Smicha students (with wives) in a Smicha program, so no one would know who the OP is.

amother
Slategray

Post Fri, Feb 12 2016, 12:59 pm
myself wrote:

As I am 99.9% convinced of this (they are definitely NOT done and DH does tend to zone out from time to time as he's taken this on in addition to a full time job and family responsibilities) I am not "outing" any semicha programs. I have to believe the fault lies in DH misunderstanding. I really posted here just to see if somehow he was right and I was the crazy one, but my instinct told me no and obviously the responses here confirm it.

PAMOM

Post Fri, Feb 12 2016, 2:38 pm
Aubergine, while I am not part of Rabbi Avi Weiss's community, I find your singling him out in the context in which you did is mean-spirited lashon hara.

penguin

Post Fri, Feb 12 2016, 3:05 pm
Quote:
Aubergine, while I am not part of Rabbi Avi Weiss's community, I find your singling him out in the context in which you did is mean-spirited lashon hara.
Several Rabbonim from various Orthodox groups have come out with statements that Open Orthodoxy is not considered Orthodox. But that should probably be a spin-off.

PAMOM

Post Fri, Feb 12 2016, 3:46 pm
Penguin, if someone posts that Rav 1and Rav 2 have declared in place/document xxx that a certain group isn't Orthodox and that she (the poster) agrees, the situation is a different one. I know that such decisions have been made and I have no problem with references to these decisions, whether they are mainstream decisions or not, my rabbi's view or not. Aubergine's posting seemed like gratuitous mudslinging. If I misread her intent, I truly apologize.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions