Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars
White corelle q

L K

Post Wed, Feb 10 2016, 8:47 pm
Does white corelle show knife marks, specifically Bella faenza?

Those who use white corelle sets on Shabbos could you please tell me which set you have and if you're happy with your decision.

Would it be too bland or nice enough if you take white corelle, colorful chargers and possibly napkins?

China is out of question for me for practicality reasons.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Feb 10 2016, 8:57 pm
What about the Boutique Cherish collection and the Pure White collection?

L K

Post Wed, Feb 10 2016, 9:18 pm
ra_mom wrote:
What about the Boutique Cherish collection and the Pure White collection?

Iirc, Boutique cherish is similar to Bella faenza, only square. I'll look up the pure white.

I love the quality of corelle. But they all seem so bland and not saturated or not "dressy" enough. I like sandstone but again it is very plain compared to classical dishes.

I can't take the plunge. I have a feeling that as soon as I purchase a set they'll finally come out with something nice. Maybe cause a few years ago I've been hunting for a certain discontinued set for milchigs but being unable to find it bought something different, relatively nice. And just now I'm seeing that they are producing my beloved sandstone again ((. I just have sentimental feelings towards it, and now wish I could use it for Shabbos but dh passuled it as too plain. Sob sob

Leahh

Post Thu, Feb 11 2016, 12:04 am
I use corelle dishes during the week. They have a design on the edges but the center is all white.
Yes, they do show knife marks and scratches.

seeker

Post Thu, Feb 11 2016, 12:39 am
I have white corelle that I use on Shabbos (it's my only fleishig set so we use it on weekdays too, when we're not using plastic.) It's a little plain but nice enough for me. It has like a ruffled shape around the edge. I forget what it was called.

We have fleishigs on Shabbos and maybe twice during the week, of which we sometimes use disposables, so I would say it's had light use for about 6 years. They definitely do not appear to be scratched up but we haven't been harsh on them either. I don't have sharp steak knives or anything.

My dairy ones get significantly more use and are white with a design around the edge. I just pulled out the top one of each size plate and checked it in the light, and I detected maybe 1-3 very tiny knife-scratches in each. Definitely a lot newer looking than my mother's china was after a similar amount of use.

etky

Post Thu, Feb 11 2016, 12:56 am
I think that if you like the look of a table set with white china, the Corelle white patterns are perfectly shabbosdik.
Maybe not the simplest, plainest white but certainly any of the embossed white patterns or those that have a fluted rim or the square shape.
I just went to inspect my dishes for scratches: my almost 30 year old (white background with pattern) Corelle has almost no scratches after pretty much daily use. My 25 year old Lenox - used maybe 3 or 4 times a month, at most, has far more.
I don't remember ever seeing knife marks on the Corelle either.

L K

Post Thu, Feb 11 2016, 2:36 pm
I'm not crazy about the plain white look but the embossed may be better.
I want to see it in real life first because it may be better or worse than online pictures, will try to get to one of the local stores for that.

I am still very impartial to sandstone ones:

Though seemingly plain, I feel the color adds a lot to them. And I guess they could be dressed up with chargers.
Do you think cream plates will clash badly with white tablecloths?

etky

Post Thu, Feb 11 2016, 4:16 pm
Honestly, though I do like the Sandstone very much, I think it is much more casual than the white patterns. I also don't think it would look great on a white backdrop.

OOTBubby

Post Thu, Feb 11 2016, 5:36 pm
etky wrote:
My 25 year old Lenox - used maybe 3 or 4 times a month, at most, has far more.

I have Lenox that I've been using every Shabbos & Yom Tov for over 40 years and there are no knife marks on it.

etky

Post Thu, Feb 11 2016, 5:52 pm
OOTBubby wrote:
I have Lenox that I've been using every Shabbos & Yom Tov for over 40 years and there are no knife marks on it.

No knife marks on my Lenox, just a few scratches whereas the Corelle has none.
The one set that did get grey knife marks was my dairy stoneware (white body with cobalt trim) but I think they wore off eventually.

L K

Post Thu, Feb 11 2016, 6:23 pm
etky wrote:
Honestly, though I do like the Sandstone very much, I think it is much more casual than the white patterns. I also don't think it would look great on a white backdrop.

I hear you, I actually meant to say that I am partial to sandstone ). It brings warm memories cause my first own set of dishes was the same style. And it's a very warm cream color that food looks very good on. It just could use some gold accent. Otoh I'd be prevented from using any silver color at the table, while white would be extremely versatile. I'm just not sure if I like the look of food on very white plates.

I dunno, first world problem indeed.

etky

Post Fri, Feb 12 2016, 1:53 am
L K wrote:
I hear you, I actually meant to say that I am partial to sandstone ). It brings warm memories cause my first own set of dishes was the same style. And it's a very warm cream color that food looks very good on. It just could use some gold accent. Otoh I'd be prevented from using any silver color at the table, while white would be extremely versatile. I'm just not sure if I like the look of food on very white plates.

I dunno, first world problem indeed.

I think your gut is telling you not to get the white. Some people love the look but for others it just doesn't 'do it'. Get what you like and to heck with how plain or casual it is. There are many ways to dress up a table and there is no hard and fast law that a Shabbat table has to look formal. Festive yes, formal no.
Several times I made decor decisions based on objective parameters, instead of going with what I instinctively loved, and looking back it was a mistake.
Yeah, it's a first world problem but be"h you're going to have to live with the dishes that you buy for a while.
Go with what is pleasing to you and makes you feel good.

DrMom

Post Fri, Feb 12 2016, 2:01 am
I think the plain white dishes are fine. I like the minimalist lines. I personally don't like their sets with printed patterns -- I think the colors tend to look dull and many of the designs are not to my taste.

You can dress up plain white dishes with colorful tablecloths, napkins, glassware, etc.

Another advantage: Corelle is nice and thin, and takes up a minimum of space in the dish cabinet.

L K

Post Mon, Feb 15 2016, 2:27 am
Etky, I agree with you about going with your gut. I've already learnt quite a few times that something that you don't like around the house will bother you until it finally breaks.

Dr mom, I'm with you on all your points. Re their design and everything else. Love the quality though and stackability (have I just made up a new word?)

I checked out Bella faenza in the store two days ago and I actually like it a lot. It doesn't have a plain white look but is actually elegant. The stock photos don't do it justice. I was wondering if in real life embossing might be poorly executed but I found it to be well made. To my taste, it is shabbosdik not even "bedieved" or when ou have to dress it up.

Alright wise ladies could you please tell me if it's reasonable to want to get double the amount of settings that the immediate family needs for one meal? Or is it totally outrageous? (To etky: my gut tells me it's the right calculation, my mind flips out though because it's double the cost of the minimum and feels frivolous).

My cheshbon is that practically I would be exhausted to wash the dishes in cold water after every Shabbos night seuda. Then we would end up with plastic on Shabbos day, which kind of defeats the purpose of purchasing the dishes.

In addition once in a blue moon that we might have company the exact number of settings for just my family wouldn't be sufficient, and I would need additional say 5 settings. It would look decent to have all identical dishes and not have to rush out to buy expensive plastic to supplement, or put out my very casual black and white corelle for kids. That would be kind of last measure lol. Also if my family grows iyh I would also need more than the q I need today.

Does it make sense? Or is it crazy to buy say 16 settings instead of 8? It really seems to
make sense to get double. Do you agree, or do you think it's outrageous?

The only thing I'm not sure I need is all 16 mugs. We do drink tea after the meal and porcelain mugs usually don't last. On the one hand, it means that after some time the surplus will be gone. However, in the long run they may all break, so maybe I should get plain but sturdier mugs to begin with, and get sets w/o mugs? Or should we enjoy the matching mugs while they last? I also may have to get something different for youngest kids in the meantime. I can't see giving a porcelain cup to a 1 or 3 year old. It's probably better to just throw it out, at least no danger from breakage and no sweeping of the shards involved.

etky

Post Mon, Feb 15 2016, 2:57 am
For me it would be a no brainer. Get the two sets. It is not friovolous.
I've also made the mistake in life of not buying more than I needed (in my case silverware, glasses, among other things) at the moment for normal, every day use and then regretted it.
However, I would consider not buying the extra mugs. I have 12 matching Corelle mugs taking up lots of space in the cupboard and they're not earning their keep. Half that number would have definitely sufficed.
Also, since your set will be white and thus neutral, you can always buy different mugs that will be look nice with the dessert plates.
I have a set of Bodum tea glasses that I like to serve tea in.
I actually like that they don't 'match' the plates. It creates a more interesting table (and I prefer to drink tea from glass for some reason).

L K

Post Mon, Feb 15 2016, 3:07 am
I'll look up these bodum glasses. Do they break? I've had some indestructible bormioli Rocco glasses in 7oz, in 12 years one got s crack after probably hundreds of heavy drops. I wonder if their bigger ones are also unbreakable.

etky

Post Mon, Feb 15 2016, 3:22 am
L K wrote:
I'll look up these bodum glasses. Do they break? I've had some indestructible bormioli Rocco glasses in 7oz, in 12 years one got s crack after probably hundreds of heavy drops. I wonder if their bigger ones are also unbreakable.

No, they're made of strengthened heatproof glass so they're very durable.
The ones we have are from our wedding, 25 years ago...
Bormiollo Rocco makes excellent quality glassware. I've had sets that lasted the longest time. Unfortunately their products are not as ubiquitous here in Israel as they used to be and the glasses that I get now instead crack all the time at the slightest insult. I wish I could find the Bormiollo Rocco sets...

spikta

Post Mon, Feb 15 2016, 3:53 am
We got the plain round white corelle, but only the plates.
Five years later I don't think there are scratches, and we use steak knives occasionally.
We got 16 plates as newlyweds and I don't regret it. We love hosting and I never have to worry about running out.
Bowls and everything else we got separately, and in smaller numbers. We only have 3-4 mugs because we don't like hot drinks so they're just for guests. I like that we can dress up our plain plates any way we want with funkier or classier pieces, and of course napkins, table cloths and runners, etc. I enjoy the versatility.
But we're pretty informal people.

seeker

Post Mon, Feb 15 2016, 11:17 am
L K wrote:

The only thing I'm not sure I need is all 16 mugs. We do drink tea after the meal and porcelain mugs usually don't last. On the one hand, it means that after some time the surplus will be gone. However, in the long run they may all break, so maybe I should get plain but sturdier mugs to begin with, and get sets w/o mugs? Or should we enjoy the matching mugs while they last? I also may have to get something different for youngest kids in the meantime. I can't see giving a porcelain cup to a 1 or 3 year old. It's probably better to just throw it out, at least no danger from breakage and no sweeping of the shards involved.

I got my sets with mugs because it paid for the dishes themselves. There was a sale and/or a coupon and/or something that added up to no mugs costing more than yes mugs. So we have the mugs and who cares. We don't use the ones with our fleishig set a whole lot but they come in handy from time to time. Don't worry too much about sweeping shards, the Corelle itself doesn't break easily but when it breaks it shatters, but the mugs are earthenware and the times mine have broken they split pretty cleanly in two. Put two pieces in garbage, done. The edges weren't even so sharp, nothing like glass. I don't give them to my kids just because they are big and heavy, I got juice glasses in Amazing Savings for them.

sweetpotato

Post Mon, Feb 15 2016, 12:41 pm
I have Corelle White Frost. I use it sometimes on Shabbos. Because it's white, if you dress up the table in other ways, it looks decent. It's durable, no knife marks. The plates are a little small. It's not as nice feeling/looking as china, though. It's kind of in between disposables/plastic plates and real china.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars