Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Clonidine

cuties' mom

Post Mon, Feb 22 2016, 8:44 pm
Ds just started clonidine tonight. If your child took it, what should I expect? I'm not a big fan of behavior meds in general, but dh and I are averaging 3 hours of sleep a night since ds wakes up during the night and doesn't go back to sleep. Melatonin wouldn't help since he falls asleep at bedtime without a problem. What side effects did your kids have?

imasinger

Post Mon, Feb 22 2016, 9:39 pm
I've had a couple of kids on it. No side effects, just a really solid sleep. (Sometimes oversleeping at the beginning.)

We eventually weaned off it when kids slept better on their own.

Hatzlacha!

Mama Bear

Post Mon, Feb 22 2016, 10:27 pm
Makes them sleepy. he might be cranky the first 2 weeks as his body adjusts.

cuties' mom

Post Tue, Feb 23 2016, 6:33 am
Thanks. He was still up most of the night so maybe it takes time for it to work or maybe he's fighting the effects.

imasinger

Post Tue, Feb 23 2016, 6:47 am
Is it possible that he is on a super low dose, to see how he tolerates the med, and it's not enough to be therapeutic?

cuties' mom

Post Tue, Feb 23 2016, 5:39 pm
When the dr. prescribed it, he said he will increase the does after a week in order to make sure ds doesn't have a negative reaction to it.

imasinger

Post Tue, Feb 23 2016, 5:50 pm
So, there's your answer. He's on a subclinical dose right now to check for side effects. The doctor will help you adjust it to therapeutic levels once it is clear that DS can tolerate the med well.

Mama Bear

Post Tue, Feb 23 2016, 7:52 pm
my son takes trazadone for sleeping.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)