Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Book Recommendations for 9 year old boy

amother
Babyblue

Post Tue, Feb 23 2016, 6:01 pm
I would like 9 year DS to read more English as he doesn't do much English reading in cheder and frequent reading is the key to fluency. I thought he would love reading books from the Cheery Bim Band or Gemarakup series however he says he has no interest in fiction and prefers real stories.

Any recommendations?

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Feb 23 2016, 6:27 pm
I assume you want Judaica.
There are biographies. If you go back to the original Artscroll youth biographies, the one of Rav Nachumke was said to not be cookie cutter, kadosh mibeten. There's All for the Boss, Rav Nosson Tzvi, Rav Moshe, The Chofetz Chaim by (forgot if male or female) Ezrachi, In Every Generation. And Rabbi Mattis Goldberg's photo essay books. And of course, the Ahrele series.
Then, there's Our Sages Showed the Way, the genre of stories - Rabbis Krohn, Spero, Seltzer, Teller, Pruzansky, Weiss, Brull, and more I've surely forgotten. A bright 9 year old might really get into them.
Gadi Pollack has some books about Yetzias Mitzrayim and life in the desert that are fictionalized but great reading.

Gotta run but hope I got things going.

amother
Natural

Post Tue, Feb 23 2016, 6:49 pm
My 11 yo grandson likes the Zman. Some find it bit gory,though.

spring13

Post Tue, Feb 23 2016, 6:59 pm
How about the Kids Speak series? If you can get the Who Was series of biographies, they're also really good - not Jewish, but there's a big range of people to choose from and they're very age-appropriate.

Lita

Post Tue, Feb 23 2016, 9:32 pm
He might find harry potter interesting

tigerwife

Post Tue, Feb 23 2016, 10:09 pm
What about Little Medrash Says? There are so many so you can start with Bereishos and make your way through Navi, should keep him busy for quite a while while educating him as well.

If he would go for historical fiction, what about the Avner Gold books?

Orchid

Post Tue, Feb 23 2016, 10:12 pm
tigerwife wrote:
What about Little Medrash Says? There are so many so you can start with Bereishos and make your way through Navi, should keep him busy for quite a while while educating him as well.

If he would go for historical fiction, what about the Avner Gold books?

I would say Avner Gold books are for age 11+, especially the later ones that assume the reader has a good grasp of politics (ie, how Shabtai Tzvi's followers in Poland faced allegations of treason).

anon for this

Post Tue, Feb 23 2016, 10:41 pm
spring13 wrote:
How about the Kids Speak series? If you can get the Who Was series of biographies, they're also really good - not Jewish, but there's a big range of people to choose from and they're very age-appropriate.

My son who's about that age isn't a fan of the Kids Speak series but he does like the Who Is/ Who Was series (he calls them the bobblehead biographies).
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room