Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Questions about having a live-out nanny

amother
Navy

Post Wed, Feb 24 2016, 3:07 pm
Had a couple questions for ladies who employ a live-out nanny while they work.
I recently hired a young woman to care for my baby while I'm working (full time). She will be a live-out nanny. What is the standard protocol about food? Should she bring her own lunch? I'm happy to provide paper plates and stuff. Or is she supposed to make herself lunch at my house?
What do others do?

studying_torah

Post Wed, Feb 24 2016, 4:25 pm
would you mind sharing which agency or where you found her? I've been looking for a long time, without success.
as far as lunch, can you prepare some food that can be eaten at room temp for her before you leave? salad, fruit, tuna, a sandwich, soup in a cup are all good options.

amother
Navy

Post Wed, Feb 24 2016, 5:31 pm
studying_torah wrote:
would you mind sharing which agency or where you found her? I've been looking for a long time, without success.
as far as lunch, can you prepare some food that can be eaten at room temp for her before you leave? salad, fruit, tuna, a sandwich, soup in a cup are all good options.

I don't live in your area, I'm certain! I live in another country, and I used an online website for nannies. Sorry I couldn't make a recommendation for you.

The job I'm going back to is very very stressful, demanding and has long hours. She will be helping ME with cooking, so the last thing I want to do is get into a situation where I'm preparing her lunch. There's simply no time for it.

Really, my question is this: Kashrut concerns aside, do live out nannies bring their own lunches or make lunch for themselves at your home? I can help her learn about kashrut and preparing meals. That's no big deal. And I don't mind her eating out of my fridge. I just need to make sure I budget for an extra mouth and make sure I have the food available. But ideally, as she'll be at a playgroup with my baby most afternoons, I'd love for her to bring her own lunch. I just don't know if she a thing is typical.

iriska_meller

Post Wed, Feb 24 2016, 6:55 pm
you are certainly not obligated to provide her with lunch, but I usually tell my nannies they are welcome to anything they find in the fridge or pantry. The most anyone has ever taken was 2 slices of bread and a spoon of peanut butter.
If you are worried about her messing up your kosher kitchen it's a whole other issue... But if you are planning on her cooking then you will have to teach her anyway.

PAMOM

Post Wed, Feb 24 2016, 7:36 pm
I've asked what the nanny prefers. I say I'm happy to let her prepare her lunch from my food it she lets me know what she eats, but she can also bring x, y, or z.

doctorima

Post Wed, Feb 24 2016, 7:45 pm
Just want to say that assuming the nanny isn't Jewish, even if you teach her about a kosher kitchen and trust her to follow the rules, you should still check with your LOR about what she is or isn't allowed to cook (since you said you're having her cook for you).

There are rules about food cooked by a non-Jew that even though the food item itself is kosher, but once cooked by the non-Jew can become non-kosher and the oven, pot, etc. can even become treif. The rules are complex, so it would be a good idea to clarify with your LOR in advance.

Mrs Bissli

Post Wed, Feb 24 2016, 7:51 pm
I have employed several live out nannies, but now ask nannies not to bring in the foods from outside. It reduces risk of potential kashrut mistakes. Instead, they can make lunch with whatever we have in our kitchen, or can go out to eat . I don't recall it made much difference food budget wise, most of them were quite happy with sandwiches, salad, pasta.

Bruria

Post Thu, Feb 25 2016, 3:58 am
Since you mentioned you live in another country, maybe you should also check what is the cultural norm there concerning this, what is usual here might not be usual there.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics