Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Am I annoying?

amother
Burlywood

Post Thu, Feb 25 2016, 10:48 pm
I laugh way too much. Whenever I say anything to anyone outside of my immediate family, it's in a giggly tone of voice and I insert actual LOL into every other sentence. I think that my excessive laughter is caused by insecurity and a desperate desire to have people like me.

I've never actually been told that the way I speak is socially off and annoying, but I'm pretty sure it is... I want to stop it, but I've been speaking this way since I was quite young, and I feel like a boring person if I don't.

Any thoughts on this? Do you think that I should work harder to stop being so giggly? Do you know any people irl that are like me, and wish that they'd stop?

amother
Periwinkle

Post Thu, Feb 25 2016, 10:57 pm
amother wrote:
I laugh way too much. Whenever I say anything to anyone outside of my immediate family, it's in a giggly tone of voice and I insert actual LOL into every other sentence. I think that my excessive laughter is caused by insecurity and a desperate desire to have people like me.

I've never actually been told that the way I speak is socially off and annoying, but I'm pretty sure it is... I want to stop it, but I've been speaking this way since I was quite young, and I feel like a boring person if I don't.

Any thoughts on this? Do you think that I should work harder to stop being so giggly? Do you know any people irl that are like me, and wish that they'd stop?

Here's what I would do: videotape yourself - making a video saying hi to a friend - or use your cell phone's mic to record yourself when you are speaking on your home phone to someone. Ask a close friend or even your husband. I'm a speech-language pathologist, and can tell you that if you want to change a certain pattern in your communication, self-awareness is half the battle. It's possible that you aren't coming off as giggly as you think, but a video or audio recording of yourself in action will be useful in determining how you come off to others. Good luck Smile

Ashrei

Post Thu, Feb 25 2016, 11:01 pm
I know someone who is just like that, but I think it comes from a place of serious and deep anxiety. Is that the same as insecurity? I think most people see this person as just a happy, positive person, whom they admire for those reasons.

naturalmom5

Post Thu, Feb 25 2016, 11:08 pm
Is it a silly goofy laugh or more of a flirty laugh

amother
Denim

Post Thu, Feb 25 2016, 11:27 pm
Yes, it's annoying, especially if you laugh when it's inappropriate. So your house burned to the ground? (Tee hee) And your insurance company won't pay up? ( Tee hee)
Good for you for recognizing the problem. Please see a speech therapist.

groisamomma

Post Thu, Feb 25 2016, 11:48 pm
amother wrote:
Yes, it's annoying, especially if you laugh when it's inappropriate. So your house burned to the ground? (Tee hee) And your insurance company won't pay up? ( Tee hee)
Good for you for recognizing the problem. Please see a speech therapist.

Maybe it's the hour but your post made me laugh.

Why a speech therapist for OP? Isn't this a social-emotional problem?

amother
Burlywood

Post Thu, Feb 25 2016, 11:49 pm
Thank you so much for all of your replies!

I don't laugh when talking about serious matters- its when I talk about mundane things that my anxiety and people pleasing kicks in... I don't know what kind of laugh it is- maybe I'll try videoing myself next time I'm on the phone with a friend- thanks for the idea! And thanks to the poster that said that it's not necessarily viewed as annoying when people laugh excessively.

amother
Denim

Post Thu, Feb 25 2016, 11:54 pm
Sorry. I know someone who laughs all the time like that and somehow projected it onto your situation. I know it's anxiety but I actually have to grit my teeth to be around her.

amother
Burlywood

Post Fri, Feb 26 2016, 12:09 am
Denim, thanks for being honest. I really do need to work on this...

amother
Turquoise

Post Fri, Feb 26 2016, 12:35 am
Ha ha! I also laugh(ed) a lot... and ha ha, I also suffer from anxiety... but ha ha, I never put two and two together!

I am aware of my laughing and also thought it as being annoying to others, and it sometimes even made me feel really stupid realizing I was the only one laughing. So yes, I worked on it and at this point I laugh a lot less.

OP, it is good to have a good and hearty laugh every now and then, but I would say keep it to a minimum.

Thumbs up that you are aware of it. Many don't realize their social quirks and I usually feel bad for those people-I wish I can make them aware of it!

amother
Tangerine

Post Fri, Feb 26 2016, 1:32 am
amother wrote:

Huh!! Are you by chance my neighbor?? Hope not. But if you are...... Then......
YES!!! It's very annoying! To me It comes across as being cynical and not serious. Yes, definitely an issue to seek help with. (That's if your my neighbor LOL )

If you're not then, don't take it too personally but definitely seek help. Depending on the way you laugh it could be very annoying.

Heyaaa

Post Fri, Feb 26 2016, 2:55 am
I can think of three people who do that. Two of them are awesome and just so enjoyable to be around. They sound like they're having a good time (even though I know they both have it really hard). I find it to be irritating when the third one does it and I believe that she does it because she's insecure and desperate to make friends.

So laughing too much is not necessarily a bad thing. Depending how you laugh it can make people like you or it can be super annoying.

ldg

Post Fri, Feb 26 2016, 2:56 am
Why don't you ask one or two people that are close to you who would give you an honest answer. It's hard to know without knowing what type of laugh it is.

DrMom

Post Fri, Feb 26 2016, 2:57 am
Honestly, yes, I would find that annoying.

mommy3b2c

Post Fri, Feb 26 2016, 7:32 am
I wonder if you are someone on this site that I spoke on the phone with?

I had to speak to someone on this site once, and when they called me, they kept giggling after every few words. To me they sounded socially awkward and very insecure.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette