Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Bas mitzva ideas

amother
Seafoam

Post Sun, Feb 28 2016, 1:55 pm
My daughters in a frum school where they don't make huge party's. I had cousins who wore gowns and made huge party's but my family made a small party in a shul and was nice. I'm looking for ideas, my daughter wants the glitz and excitement . She's going through some difficulty with things and I want her to be happy. I won't be making it in a hall but I'm looking for ideas of some way that she can feel special as well as feel the beauty of becoming Bas mitzvahed . Any ideas would be so appreciated! Thanks in advance

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Feb 28 2016, 2:02 pm
Is she doing a chesed project? Helping others makes you feel beautiful inside and out.

DD raised money for Israeli Guide Dogs for the Blind, and it was very meaningful for her.

Raisin

Post Sun, Feb 28 2016, 2:05 pm
Make it really beautiful. Make proper invitations and have benchers printed. (these can be done at home)

If you are ok with spending money you can get things like a chocolate fountain, hire a party planner to set up things really nicely, get professionally decorated cakes and desserts and good food. You can do a theme - english tea party, farmers market theme, breakfast brunch - those are some of the recent bar/bas mitzvas I've been too.

You can make a powerpoint of pictures of her growing up. Buy a big blank book where people can write nice messages to her.

amother
Seafoam

Post Sun, Feb 28 2016, 2:05 pm
How did she raise for that, a few months before her bat mitzvah? I agree doing something for others will make her feel good, I just wish she would come with the idea I don't want her to feel like I gave her the idea... I think it's a beautiful idea

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Feb 28 2016, 2:14 pm
DD raised most of the money herself, by deciding that she didn't want a big party. We sponsored a seudah sleshit in her honor instead. We had all of her favorite foods catered (bourekas, bumuelos, mac n'cheese, salads, and baklava).

DD sent out emails to all her friends and family, and explained that instead of gifts she wanted donations to go directly to the organization, and included a link to the site.

amother
Seafoam

Post Sun, Feb 28 2016, 4:55 pm
So I don't think she's at the point where she's willing to give up her presents for raising tzedaka... I love hearing everyone's ideas, tx so much!

Raisin

Post Sun, Feb 28 2016, 4:58 pm
maybe she can do another project to raise money? Some of the bas mitzva girls in my community made a bake sale, they baked a bunch of yeast cakes and sold them for about $10 each in aid of tzedaka.

FF your daughter is a tzadekes.

amother
Seafoam

Post Sun, Feb 28 2016, 7:29 pm
That's a nice idea. How bout ideas for the Bas mitzva itself?

amother
Chartreuse

Post Sun, Feb 28 2016, 10:50 pm
We did a clothing drive for Yad Leah - it was my idea. your dd may not be able to come up with an idea on her own within budget. I recommend it highly. Her friends came and sorted and boxed the clothing, then we did a craft project with fabric from the clothing that was not good enough to send. Visit their website for more details.

Rutabaga

Post Sun, Feb 28 2016, 11:47 pm
What does your daughter enjoy?

It's been quite a few years, but my classmates had so many different types of bas mitzvah parties. Some did the traditional sit down meal in a shul/hall/restaurant with simcha dancing. Others took their class to plays or arcade type places. One family set up an amazing carnival in their backyard. Other girls did smaller events in their homes with sophisticated craft projects or other activities that suited the girl's personality. Some even preferred to skip the party and go on a trip instead.

amother
Linen

Post Mon, Feb 29 2016, 12:36 am
Chai Lifeline is an idea I know some people do... Some collected board games to give to Chai Lifeline (think different ages like games teens want!), some had girls decorate and fill activity bags for hospitalized kids to use (art projects with the supplies inside, card games.... I know one who put those keychain yarn kits to create animals or other shapes because it didn't need glue or messy paint! Or those black scratcher pads with color under...). But due to immunocompromised patients, all games/gifts must be brand new.

If you are going to give board games you can decorate each table as a different game, use the sealed game as a centerpiece...

chanchy123

Post Mon, Feb 29 2016, 5:01 am
How about a syium of some sort. It doesn't have to be mishna or gemarah, it can be tanach or halacha, or even a learning project about her name a period in Jewish history, or tzadikot of the past or present etc. It can also be an art project or a powerpoint slide show about a Jewish subject. Just something to show for herself to connect herself with Judaism and Mitzvot.

Iymnok

Post Mon, Feb 29 2016, 7:37 am
Does her school have any rules on bas mitzvas?
Do a glitzy meal eh Malka for her friends. In gowns and serve fancy finger foods. For entertainment, have a professional hairdresser.
If she wants, she could raise money so someone else who can't afford glitz, could have. Like hachnasas kallah bridal/baby shower gifts...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children