Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Granite, quartz, quartzite-tell me about them.

anonymrs

Post Tue, Feb 16 2016, 2:11 pm
What's the difference in quality/price between granite, quartz, and quartzite?

Thanks!

amazingmommy

Post Tue, Feb 16 2016, 2:39 pm
Quartz is more expensive than granite,
And I think more fragile, (based on experience

tryinghard

Post Tue, Feb 16 2016, 4:46 pm
Quartz is supposed to be stronger, but not heat resistant like granite. Quartz is man-made. There is a difference in opinion about the kasherability of quartz (my rav holds it's the same as granite).

Quartz usually comes in just one price point - so where granite has grade A-E, where different colors will be more expensive, any type of quartz will usually be priced around the C-D range of granite prices.

In other words - while you can't get the cheapest prices you may find with granite, with quartz you will not fall in love with a pattern and then find out that it's more expensive than the other samples you looked at.

amother
Wine

Post Tue, Feb 16 2016, 4:57 pm
quartz stains

Rubber Ducky

Post Tue, Feb 16 2016, 5:50 pm
Quartz is more uniform in appearance, so you can choose it from a sample and it should look like the sample. With granite, you need to select the actual slab. Quartz is made of ground up stone which is held together with an acrylic binder, which is why it tends to chip more than granite. Price varies a lot more with granite than with quartz.

OOTBubby

Post Tue, Feb 16 2016, 8:47 pm
None of the responses here dealt with the Quartzite choice. I just ordered counters and have researched greatly. Many people assume that Quartzite and Quartz are the same. They are not.

Quartz is manufactured stone made by grinding up stone and mixing it with resin and forming it into slabs. Therefore the consistence in color. Ceasarstone is an example of Quartz.

Quartzite is a natural stone in itself. It is very hard (harder than granite). Colors vary; most with a white or off white background, but there are many possibilities. You need to go look at slabs to be able to choose. Even slabs with the same name may each look very different. And you may find two slabs with different names that look very similar. It is the most costly of the 3 options. It is very popular right now.

anonymrs

Post Tue, Feb 16 2016, 9:34 pm
Thank you all!

OOTBubby, I went to look at different options today for my countertops. The guy told me that quartzite is a combined granite/marble and chips easily. Could it be just the particular color that I was looking at? I wonder why we have such different information.

anonymrs

Post Tue, Feb 16 2016, 9:36 pm
Well, I just found this
http://countertopinvestigator......ison/
http://www.houzz.com/discussio.....quart

wow

Post Tue, Feb 16 2016, 9:46 pm
I also recently shopped for countertops. Here's what I learnt:

Quartz - man-made. Pros are that they are uniformed and very durable. However, you need to like the look of it. After much debate I decided I want the beauty of natural stone. Man-made can kind of fade over the years from the sun and they also do not have such a high and beautiful shine.

Granite and quartzite are both natural , however , as the above poster mentioned, I also learned from my research that quartzite is much harder and more durable than granite. Also, color wise, quartzite is way more modern and updated, as they tend to be more veiny and marbalized as opposed to the more dense and dark look of granite.

Each slab differs greatly from the next, so you'd need to go down to a couple of stone yards to find the one you like. I chose white macauba and I am so in love with it!

Some popular names for quartzite is Taj-Mahal, macauba, sea pearl, super white. ...

cip

Post Tue, Feb 16 2016, 10:39 pm
I got quartz and I'm not happy with it. It stains easily and I have a few chips and dents. Lots of metal marks too that are tough to remove. I regret not taking granite. My counters are white...

mommyla

Post Tue, Feb 16 2016, 10:48 pm
anonymrs wrote:
Thank you all!

OOTBubby, I went to look at different options today for my countertops. The guy told me that quartzite is a combined granite/marble and chips easily. Could it be just the particular color that I was looking at? I wonder why we have such different information.

Some slabs that are labeled quartzites are actually marble or closer to marble than others. You have to see the slab, ask for a piece, and do etch/stain/scratch tests on them (Google for more information), especially if it's white.

To the poster above, enjoy your white macaubus! That's my favorite, it's gorgeous, but was way out of my budget. I wound up with a granite that I love instead.

rise above

Post Wed, Feb 17 2016, 1:32 pm
Following this thread. I am very torn on what to do with my counter tops.

I am putting in a gray cabinet kitchen- and although I grew up with granite and really like it- I can't seem to find any granite that works with the cabinets! I really want a more "solid" light colored look- or a gray/white marbleize, but again can't be overpowering.

I have choices in quartz- but I'm nervous about the color fading (my friends kitchen already looks off white after one year), and about the more matte look.

Any advice?

MiracleMama

Post Mon, Feb 29 2016, 12:00 pm
I have white quartz and I hate it. It chips, it stains, I can't put down hot pots on the counters. Ridiculous to me that anyone chooses this over granite. Not to mention, I still cannot get a straight answer from anyone as to weather I can kasher for pesach or not. I'm renting. When I buy I'll go with granite, no question.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics