Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
How to get warm, but not dry, white rice for Shabbos lunch?

OOTforlife

Post Tue, Mar 01 2016, 3:07 pm
Tell me pleeeeeeeeease! Cooking rice the day before, then heating back up on hot plate gets me dry rice. But I can't add liquid on Shabbos. What to do?

mummiedearest

Post Tue, Mar 01 2016, 3:08 pm
crock pot chicken and rice.

OOTforlife

Post Tue, Mar 01 2016, 3:18 pm
mummiedearest wrote:
crock pot chicken and rice.
I do that sometimes. But I would like to be able to serve white rice separately, to be combined or eaten as a side by each individual, like when we get Chinese takeout and the rice comes in separate containers. Is that just not possible? I thought maybe someone would have a trick.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Mar 01 2016, 3:19 pm
What about a room temperature rice salad?

Optione

Post Tue, Mar 01 2016, 3:21 pm
I put in a slightly extra bit of water- like if I were going to eat it I would leave it on the stove for one more minute. When I go to heat it up, I make sure it's cover extremely tightly.

rgr

Post Tue, Mar 01 2016, 3:24 pm
You can have 2 separate bags in one crock pot

5mom

Post Tue, Mar 01 2016, 3:44 pm
Put the pot of rice on top of the hot water urn, not on the blech. The heat is moist rather than dry. There's a good chance that some of the water will evaporate out of the urn, so be sure to put in enough water before shabbos.

OOTforlife

Post Tue, Mar 01 2016, 4:45 pm
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try to experiment some during the week.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Mar 01 2016, 5:20 pm
Shabbos lunch meals are SO hard!

I find that there is a very fine line between serving hot food on Shabbos - burnt food on Shabbos - and giving your family food poisoning. The temperatures are so hard to figure out for each kind of food.

The best solution for me, is a water blech. Take a steel cookie sheet, put it on low burner, and add boiling water. Top with a slightly larger cookie sheet. This creates a second kli, and puts it into a different halachic category. You have a lot more leeway to add a bit of hot water to precooked food, you can stir soups, etc.

My rice cooker in the US kept rice at the perfect "warm" temperature for all of Shabbos. The one I have in Israel will turn the rice into a disgusting science experiment. Puke

I've had the same problem with crock pots set to "warm", so now I only use the water and bag method with it. I can turn the heat up much higher, and not worry about burning. Again, it also makes a second kli. If you don't have a crock pot, use a large soup kettle filled with boiling water, add your bagged food to it, then turn down the temp to medium.

If all else fails, serve cold deli sandwiches and fancy salads! Very Happy
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus