Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Mishpacha "Wireless" Serial -- What Happened???

amother
Forestgreen

Post Thu, Mar 03 2016, 4:44 pm
We were away last week and did not receive our Mishpacha. I was really enjoying the "Wireless" serial and this week it's gone and there's a reference in the Letters to the Editor section saying that it was pulled.

Can anyone fill me in on what happened with this?

Ms.MaryMack(inblack)

Post Thu, Mar 03 2016, 4:45 pm
Aparently it was too similar to a real life story (older single doing kiruv) so they decided not to hurt her feelings and they stopped it. Too bad it was a good one!

JMM-uc

Post Thu, Mar 03 2016, 5:27 pm
teawithlemon wrote:
Aparently it was too similar to a real life story (older single doing kiruv) so they decided not to hurt her feelings and they stopped it. Too bad it was a good one!
yup, that's the reason. Pretty lame IMH, it's just a story, any story can end up sounding like someone irl. Cheval, she's an amazing writer

amother
Lime

Post Thu, Mar 03 2016, 5:29 pm
Apparently the girl was getting all kinds of phone calls about it. It was same name and many, many of the same details.

rainbow dash

Post Thu, Mar 03 2016, 5:52 pm
How hard is it to add this to the story? “The following story is fictional and does not depict any actual person or event

I agree, lame excuse. If any and every fictional story can have the same problem why are they all still in print and on the shelves?

BTW I was really looking forward to reading it.

yogabird

Post Thu, Mar 03 2016, 6:01 pm
amother wrote:
Apparently the girl was getting all kinds of phone calls about it. It was same name and many, many of the same details.

Same name and purely coincidental?

amother
Mistyrose

Post Thu, Mar 03 2016, 6:12 pm
I was also looking forward. I loved how with the times it was.

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Mar 03 2016, 6:43 pm
I thought Bassi explained it pretty well. Am I missing something that I'm taking it at face value and satisfied with the answer?

amother
Tan

Post Thu, Mar 03 2016, 6:46 pm
Now Im curious. what was the story line?

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Mar 03 2016, 6:49 pm
The primary storyline was a young woman who wanted to be a kiruv rebbetzin but wasn't married but she still did campus kiruv. The campus she was working with did have a married couple who were dropping balls right and left.
There may have been an intersecting storyline, I don't remember more. It was the single kiruv woman who was hitting close to home, apparently, and too many people made uncomfortable assumptions that Mispacha did the right thing and stopped the serial. Kudos to the author and I hope that future inspiration comes easily and wonderfully to the author so she can get started on her next project.

Mama Bear

Post Thu, Mar 03 2016, 8:39 pm
There really is an older single who is doing kiruv on a major university campus in the US. and she was getting phone call after phone call from people who thought the story was about her. So the editors decided to pull the series.

Last edited by Mama Bear on Fri, Mar 04 2016, 3:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

debsey

Post Thu, Mar 03 2016, 9:03 pm
I feel like if it hit too close to home for someone, we should respect that person's privacy and not discuss it too much here. The whole point of Mishpacha taking the courageous step of pulling the serial - and the writer losing all that time and income - was to respect someone's privacy. Let's uphold the principle of "Mah Tovu Ohalecha Yaakov" and not speculate further.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Thu, Mar 03 2016, 9:59 pm
OP here.

Thanks for the explanations, all!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room