Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
Do loaves of bread freeze well?

LittleRed

Post Sun, Mar 06 2016, 3:53 pm
I know you can freeze bread and I've frozen challah sometimes but does it come out the same when defrosted? I want to make small loaves for Purim and, ideally, would do it ahead of time but only if it'll taste fresh. Anyone know if bread frozen for a few weeks will be fine and what's the best way to freeze it?
It's this recipe if that matters http://www.tasteofhome.com/rec.....bread

zaq

Post Sun, Mar 06 2016, 4:13 pm
Bread freezes beautifully if you double- wrap it very tightly in either aluminum foil or heavy-duty plastic. The critical factor is sealing out all the air. As an alternative, you could either freeze the loaves then thaw and bake just before Purim, or parbake them--bake them partway, then freeze, and finish the baking just before Purim.

myself

Post Sun, Mar 06 2016, 4:45 pm
We don't use much bread at the moment so I officially keep the loaf in the freezer. It's perfect.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Mar 06 2016, 4:50 pm
Wrap each tightly in foil when fresh and then seal in good ziploc bag, squeezing out all air (a few in a bag is fine). Freeze.
Leave on the counter, still wrapped, to thaw.

You can add a note on the back of your mishloach manos card saying that for optimal taste, place the bread in preheated oven for a few minutes to warm and freshen up before serving.

Last edited by ra_mom on Sun, Mar 06 2016, 8:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

Amarante

Post Sun, Mar 06 2016, 5:01 pm
I think partially baked yields the best results. I freeze bread products alot but only really like the thawed products toasted. So I freeze already cut bagels, English muffins and sliced bread for toast. I'm not so happy with results of untasted bread products.

By partially fpbaking and then finishing, you would have the more of a fresh taste and texture.

Rubber Ducky

Post Sun, Mar 06 2016, 5:25 pm
I freeze my most of my challahs after baking. Completely cool the challahs before freezing. As others have mentioned, getting all the air out of the bag makes a big difference. You can can use a straw to suck air out of the plastic bag(s) and then seal them. After thawing, if you warm the challahs on top of your urn, crockpot or plata, they taste fresh.

asmileaday

Post Sun, Mar 06 2016, 5:43 pm
I always freeze bread and challah. For challah I let it cool completely before putting it into a bag and tie it with a twister. I have a deep freezer so I don't find it necessary to seal it completely air tight.
The trick is to rewarm before serving. On a regular shabbos I warm it on top of a pot on my blech.
For a Purim meal, I'd let it defrost on the counter and then I stick it into the oven on 275 for about 15 minutes. Delicious!

lucky14

Post Sun, Mar 06 2016, 8:11 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Wrap each tightly in foil when fresh and then seal in good ziploc bag, squeezing out all air (a few in a bag is fine). Freeze.
Leave on the counter, still wrapped, to thaw.

exactly how I do it. tastes fresh every time.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads