Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Dairy & Pareve Meals
Yellow Cake Baked Oatmeal

Amarante

Post Mon, Mar 07 2016, 12:41 pm
Wasn't sure where to put this recipe. I read it and thought hmm why not. I make standard Baked Oatmeal a lot and have even experimented with adding some cornmeal to the oatmeal so adding the yellow cake mix isn't that crazy.

It was good and very easy to make. Nice treat for a special breakfast or brunch.

Yellow Cake Baked Oatmeal

Source: Teigen, Chrissy - Cravings: Recipes for All the Food You Want to Eat

SERVES 8 TO 10

PREP TIME: 10 minutes TOTAL TIME: 1 hour

1 stick (4 ounces) butter, melted, plus softened butter for greasing the dish
5 cups whole milk
2 cups quick-cooking oats
2 cups yellow cake mix (from a box mix)
4 large eggs, beaten
¼ teaspoon kosher salt
1½ cups raspberries (about 6 ounces)
1 large or 2 small ripe peaches, sliced

Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease a 10 × 12-inch baking dish with butter.
In a large microwave-safe bowl, combine the milk and oats and microwave on high, stopping once to stir, 5 to 6 minutes. Let the oatmeal sit on the counter to thicken
Longer if possible because you want the oatmeal to finish doing its thing in the oven.
Stir the cake mix into the cooked oatmeal until smooth, then mix in the eggs, melted butter, and salt.

Transfer the batter to the prepared baking dish, then scatter the berries and peaches on top. Bake until the center is just set and seems almost undercooked, 30 to 35 minutes. (It will jiggle a little, and when you spoon into the cake, it may separate into 2 layers: a cakey, custardy layer and an oatmealy layer. This is actual magic.)

Spoon into bowls and serve warm

water_bear88

Post Mon, Mar 07 2016, 12:50 pm
This looks delicious! What is plain baked oatmeal? I've never heard of it, but it sounds like it would go over well in my house!

Amarante

Post Mon, Mar 07 2016, 1:00 pm
Plain baked oatmeal is raw oats mixed with milk, egg and flavorings. I use vanilla and cinnamon. There are a lot of variants. I make a low fat version using 1/2 cup of apple sauce and mashed bananas. I often add blueberries to the mixture. Also a bit of sweetener - depending on your taste. There are more indulgent versions as well.

It's a great food to have because you can cook in advance and slice in individual portions and freeze. I would then nuke slightly to warm when ready to eat. It travels well because frozen so I would have for breakfast at work. It even makes a nice nosh in the evening because it's a bit cakey/muffiny. The version I posted above has a different consistency so it wouldn't lend itself to freezing.

I can post recipes if you are interested.

water_bear88

Post Mon, Mar 14 2016, 6:36 pm
Thanks! Meant to get back to this thread last week and forgot. Are there any good vegan recipes? I frequently cook for a crowd with several different (non-airborne) allergies- anything like this that I could adapt would be amazing.

Amarante

Post Mon, Mar 14 2016, 7:03 pm
I don't know of any recipes that would be vegan. The milk would be easy to swap,since you can use almond milk. However egg makes the baked oatmeal solidify so without egg, it would up just be glop. Maybe began bakers can recommend a substitute for eggs.

water_bear88

Post Tue, Mar 15 2016, 6:16 am
Thanks in any case! It's given me a new thing to look for, anyway.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Dairy & Pareve Meals