Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers
Cake Decorating

twogees

Post Wed, Mar 09 2016, 5:36 pm
I got an offer to work in a camp doing a cake decorating type activity this summer in a sleep away camp. How easy/hard is it? what do I need to prepare aside from the actual stuff I would do before camp starts, freeze and bring up? should I just do cookies and cupcakes to stay easy? or do mini cakes? also, do I need any real experience?

tryinghard

Post Wed, Mar 09 2016, 6:30 pm
twogees wrote:
I got an offer to work in a camp doing a cake decorating type activity this summer in a sleep away camp. How easy/hard is it? what do I need to prepare aside from the actual stuff I would do before camp starts, freeze and bring up? should I just do cookies and cupcakes to stay easy? or do mini cakes? also, do I need any real experience?

If this was me, I would be watching lots of youtube videos and practicing techniques. You want them to come out feeling like this wasn't stupid, "ooh I frosted a cake!". There are tons of videos of different cool things you can do, and the more confident YOU are, the better you will be able to teach it. Also, watching someone do it is not the same as doing it (as I learned when I tried a new technique on DD's birthday cake LOL )

Amarante

Post Wed, Mar 09 2016, 8:23 pm
I would bake very large cookies and bring them. If you don't epwantedwanted to bake, ask a bakery for a special order.

Decorating is tricky but luckily there are decorating stuff that is easy that kids like. I used to do cookie decorating as an activity for sleepovers with my girls and they loved it.

There are some easy techniques and items like pretty sprinkles, themed sprinkles, magic marker type of things to write with, stencils where you sprinkle, beautiful colored sanding sugars. You can google and get an idea of what's available.

I took a cookie decorating class. If you want to produce the kind of cookies that are ornately friends step, that's a bit more difficult. You need royal icing as well as colored icing. Unless you are teaching very motivated older kids, I wouldn't recommend that technique.

I have a book on cookie decorating and I am sure if you browse the library you can find ideas.

Cupcakes can also be decorated but IMO Less interesting for kids to do than a few big cookies.

You need to be very prepared with the frosting and other supplies.

seeker

Post Wed, Mar 09 2016, 9:26 pm
Can you please clarify - are you asking for advice about how to run a camp group, or about the decorating itself? Do you have previous expertise in cake decorating?

twogees

Post Wed, Mar 09 2016, 9:37 pm
I do not have experience in cake decorating....its really both the running of the activity and the decorating...

seeker

Post Wed, Mar 09 2016, 9:41 pm
Wow, that's interesting that they would take you for the job with no idea whether you know how to do it... good luck! And yes get on youtube and start practicing! Youtube is great, practice is better!

HonesttoGod

Post Thu, Mar 10 2016, 11:05 am
seeker wrote:
Wow, that's interesting that they would take you for the job with no idea whether you know how to do it... good luck! And yes get on youtube and start practicing! Youtube is great, practice is better!

I was thinking this too.

You tube is definitely a help. Go to a store like kerekes and buy lots of tips and icing bags and coloring gel.

Cookies and cupcakes are the basic, easy stuff but you could definitely do mini cakes too. Again if you have never done it before it may be hard for you to do as an activity in a camp but the more you practice the better you will get. If you are "geared" for this. Like art is awesome but I can't draw if you get what I mean.

seeker

Post Thu, Mar 10 2016, 4:06 pm
I would look up if there's a Wilton decorating course near you. You can sign up for the shortest, easiest course but even a little bit of in-person training with someone who knows what they're doing will probably be very helpful. They give them at Michael's stores.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics