Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Would you give this medicine tonight?

cuties' mom

Post Mon, Mar 07 2016, 5:21 pm
DS was on clonidine for 2 weeks. The first week, he took it once a day and it made no difference. (It's supposed to help him sleep as he never sleeps more than 3 hours straight.) The second week, he took it twice a day. He still didn't sleep, but he didn't have dirty diapers all week until this morning, he had a whole week's worth all over my kitchen floor. I didn't give it to him this morning as it seems to be messing with his digestive track. I called the doctor, but he's out of the country and won't get my message until tomorrow. I really don't see any reason to give the medicine as it didn't help his sleep anyway, but I remember reading that it's dangerous to completely stop the medicine. Would you give the medicine tonight? Why or why not?

chicco

Post Mon, Mar 07 2016, 5:43 pm
If it is dangerous to stop, I would wait a day to speak to the doctor, unless your child is having really serious side effects. Messing with the digestive system can be uncomfortable and a mess as you know, but I don't think it's dangerous. You say you've read it is dangerous to stop... So I'd make sure to speak to the dr ASAP, but keep taking it until you know that it is safe to stop. I'm sorry you're in this situation.

animeme

Post Mon, Mar 07 2016, 6:25 pm
Call your pediatrician's emergency line and ask.

Notsobusy

Post Mon, Mar 07 2016, 7:07 pm
If for some reason you can't call your pediatrician's emergency line, try the pharmacy. A good pharmacist should be able to answer such questions.

amother
Yellow

Post Mon, Mar 07 2016, 7:19 pm
cuties' mom wrote:
DS was on clonidine for 2 weeks. The first week, he took it once a day and it made no difference. (It's supposed to help him sleep as he never sleeps more than 3 hours straight.) The second week, he took it twice a day. He still didn't sleep, but he didn't have dirty diapers all week until this morning, he had a whole week's worth all over my kitchen floor. I didn't give it to him this morning as it seems to be messing with his digestive track. I called the doctor, but he's out of the country and won't get my message until tomorrow. I really don't see any reason to give the medicine as it didn't help his sleep anyway, but I remember reading that it's dangerous to completely stop the medicine. Would you give the medicine tonight? Why or why not?

Just curious, your child is still in diapers and is taking a sleeping aid or this is an older special needs child?

animeme

Post Mon, Mar 07 2016, 7:30 pm
Not OP, but my ds was put on it still age 4, when he was still in diapers at night.

cuties' mom

Post Tue, Mar 08 2016, 5:34 pm
DS is 7 and has autism. I called the pharmacist yesterday at the advice of someone on this thread who said that I could either give it with a laxative or skip it until I hear from the doctor. I gave him half a pill last night after he had a dirty diaper. The doctor said today to stop it.

Mama Bear

Post Thu, Mar 10 2016, 9:19 pm
clonidine was terrible for my son. he slept all day and was so cranky.
He's 7 1/2. Trazadone helps him sleep at night bh.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics