Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
When you give in to yetzer hara

amother
Red

Post Wed, Mar 09 2016, 6:11 pm
Not sure where to post this really.

How often do you give in to yetzer hara ? Are you aware that this is what you are doing? Who helps you recognize it? How does it present itself (for you)? What helps you turn yourself around?

amother
Red

Post Sat, Mar 12 2016, 4:01 pm
Are you all so good that you never give in to yetzer hara?

Kiwi13

Post Sat, Mar 12 2016, 8:59 pm
Sometimes I realize it and sometimes I don't. When I know I have done something wrong, I usually regret it and seek to repair the damage or hurt feelings.

Why are you asking? Is there something specific you're looking for help with?

amother
Red

Post Sat, Mar 12 2016, 9:05 pm
I guess I feel like I almost always give into yh. I'm always cranky. I always eat when I shouldn't. Or I get lazy, and I can't stop. I just feel like I almost always give in to yetzer Hara. Am I the only person who does this? Am I the most wicked person in the world?

Kiwi13

Post Sat, Mar 12 2016, 9:11 pm
Hugs. It's hard to feel that way. You're not the only one who gives in to the yetzer hara. The fact that you care is important and good, and can lead to growth (not talking about excessive guilt!). We all do the best we can. We're not perfect and Hashem knows that. He knows what we can do. I think we just have to honestly try. You don't sound wicked at all, just human.

greenfire

Post Sat, Mar 12 2016, 9:40 pm
everybody gives into their yetzer horas or we would all be tzaddekeses

but the test of one might not be the same thing niggling at an other

we are human and as such we can only try & then try again

TeachersNotebook

Post Sat, Mar 12 2016, 9:46 pm
Not only do you sound very normal and human, you also sound very self-aware. However, one of the downsides of being self-aware is that you may beat yourself up about your personal choices too much. This doesn't help anyone- not you, and not Hashem. After recognizing that you might be giving into the yetzer hara, you want to take an action-oriented approach, instead of a judgemental/labeling approach. Judging yourself and falling into despair about your poor choices is just giving into the yetzer hara yet again...
In terms of what to actually do, there's a great book by Rebbetzin Heller and Sara Yocheved Rigler called Battle Plans that specifically addresses this. Highly recommend.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions