Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Mitzvah notes

amother
Amethyst

Post Sun, Mar 13 2016, 7:28 pm
My oldest is in preschool and mitzvah notes are a big thing. I like the idea in general and it's nice to be on the lookout for nice things to write about. But now ds is asking for a note for every little thing, like for brushing his teeth or eating his dinner or getting dressed. I told him that mitzvah notes are not for every day things you're supposed to do anyway, but then he argued that he should always make brachos loud and clear, be nice to siblings etc, and he gets mitzvah notes for those. He has a point. How do I explain what warrants a note and why? I'm stumped!

cm

Post Sun, Mar 13 2016, 7:47 pm
Preschool mitzvah notes are for anything good your child does, no matter how mundane. I'm sure the other kids have notes for cooperating with tooth brushing (which may be a challenge for some), and so on, so I wouldn't make an issue out of saying that some things don't qualify.

You could emphasize that you try to find extra-special things to share for mitzvah notes, and that brachot are extra-special because they remind us of G-d.

Rutabaga

Post Sun, Mar 13 2016, 8:35 pm
Focus on the mitzvah part of "mitzvah notes." So don't write any notes for toothbrushing, because that's just basic hygiene rather than a mitzvah. But you can write a note for kibbud av v'eim for listening when his parents told him to brush his teeth.

Alternatively, if he's driving you crazy by asking for ridiculous numbers of notes then set a limit to how many you will write on any given day (unless he does something extraordinary).
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers