Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
How long should a sippy cup last?

allthingsblue

Post Sat, Mar 12 2016, 8:30 pm
After about 4 months of use (for only water, and despite washing them daily), my toddler's sippy cups get moldy. The top plastic part with the spout for the mouth (whatever it's called) starts sprouting black dots that are very difficult to remove. Am I supposed to be replacing the cups every 4 months or so?

amother
Natural

Post Sat, Mar 12 2016, 8:47 pm
Yep.

I was going to say- until the straw bit that you can't dry properly goes mouldy.

Or they lose it.

greenfire

Post Sat, Mar 12 2016, 9:46 pm
try washing with baking soda & using one of those brushes they make for sippy cups

I thought you were going to say the baby was biting them [as my nephew does]

either way they are pretty expensive to just keep throwing them away ... I would call the company and complain ask them what to do ~ they might even send you a coupon for a new cup

cm

Post Sat, Mar 12 2016, 9:52 pm
I got the most streamlined type of cup so they were easier to keep clean. Shop around.

nnmom

Post Sat, Mar 12 2016, 10:13 pm
Is this also in the dishwasher?
We've had some for years without any mold! We always use sanitize cycle on dishwasher.

seeker

Post Sat, Mar 12 2016, 10:42 pm
What kind of sippy cups are you using? Some are definitely harder to clean than others.

My personal favorites are the ones made by Nuk and/or Gerber (some of mine say each but they seem completely identical, so I'm not sure what's going on with the branding.) When I wash them regularly they're fine, and when I neglect one and it gets gooky it is very easy to clean. The valve is extremely simple.

If there's a major mold infestation, like if one got left in a warm car for a week, I'll spray it down with fantastik or something to zap the mold, go around all the nooks with a q-tip, and then wash it again well to get off the chemicals I've used. Then I carry on using it because it looks and smells like new.

I also never, ever put milk or juice in a sippy cup. Learned the hard way, if it spoils in there the cup will never be the same. Anyway water is healthier. Milk and occasionally juice are served in regular cups at the table.

allthingsblue

Post Sat, Mar 12 2016, 11:04 pm
I don't put it in the dishwasher (they get milk and meat on them because my son uses them for both types of foods). Only water goes inside.
I guess I'll look for a special sippy cup brush for cleaning...
I use typical brands (Nuk, munchkins, boon) with simple shapes but the tops still get moldy.

cm

Post Sun, Mar 13 2016, 12:49 am
I just checked my cups, they are "The First Years." I don't know if they are still made the same way, but the tops had a very simple valve that was easy to clean. The bottoms are regular cups that we still use many years later.

Iymnok

Post Sun, Mar 13 2016, 11:45 am
Get pipe cleaners to clean straws.
Wash them well with a bottle brush at least once a week. I wash it daily, but scrub the little crevices regularly.
As pp said, ONLY WATER.
chewing and ruining the silicon is the problem around here.

greenfire

Post Sun, Mar 13 2016, 11:54 am
contrary to popular belief water does get moldy - especially if it's not breathing as in a sippy cup - the current ones with the plastic rubberized spill proof surely doesn't let air inside

cuffs

Post Sun, Mar 13 2016, 12:57 pm
I just buy new ones every few months.... I use only water and wash them every few days.

seeker

Post Sun, Mar 13 2016, 9:39 pm
Well yes, water gets moldy but it doesn't produce an odor that totally penetrates the plastic and never comes out. Milk and juice will do that, and pretty quickly.

I have had the same sippy cups for at least 4 years now and they're doing fine with regular cleaning and the occasional mold job. I do believe that a thorough cleaning with bleach or non-bleach substitute which is then washed off well is sufficient to undo mold. I also find that mold just doesn't happen when I wash the cups regularly, the mold episodes that I do have are due to my tendency to let them go for days at a time or more. (my kids are older now so they don't use the sippy cups that much anymore. They can wander off with one and I don't even think of looking for it again until I'm cleaning under the bed for something else et voila.)

abaker

Post Sun, Mar 13 2016, 11:16 pm
http://www.cnn.com/2016/02/26/.....irpt/ don't use this kind!

I find the Playtex cups to be the best and easiest to clean
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics