Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
How to thank male coworkers who have helped above and beyond
Previous  1  2

chen

Post Wed, Apr 18 2007, 7:36 pm
GramaNewYork wrote:

Interestingly, hearing YOU say what I've been feeling has a very good effect on ME. It feels great to know that someone understands how I feel.

Very Happy

chen

Post Wed, Apr 18 2007, 7:55 pm
Let's try looking at the sitch from the other end of the telescope, I.e. from your coworkers' POV. ("Course we're female and don't actually think like a man, but for argument's sake...) Let us assume that whatever they did for you is just part of their job and really was no big deal for them. They could be embarrassed if you make a big fuss.

I say this b/c I was once in the right place at the right time to do someone a very big favor (to her) that was truly no big deal for me. ( Honest--no false modesty here.) She can't stop thanking me every time she sees me. Part of me is gratified, sure, but part of me says "enough, already! I did not tackle a mugger, pull your child from a burning building or give you one of my kidneys. While it meant everything to you, it involved little effort, no time and zero sacrifice on my part, so the heroine status is completely undeserved."

My original opinion still stands: express sincere but not overblown verbal thanks, and continue to thank sincerely but quietly whenever they help you out.

GramaNewYork

Post Wed, Apr 18 2007, 8:17 pm
Chen, I think you are right. I can't stand when people "over thank" me. It feels yucky. I told my husband that I'm no longer considering the lunch thing and that I would just give a nice gift at "holiday" time. He was very happy about that.

square_peg

Post Thu, May 31 2007, 9:05 pm
I think you're making the right decision. And, if you want to write something, then to thank them, you can write soemthing simple like "Thank you for all that you do", thats it, that con consist of things that are their jobs as well. It doesnt have to be sentimental or deep.

amother

Post Thu, May 31 2007, 9:39 pm
I'm curious to know what your feelings would be if your husband told u that his female coworker is treating him out for lunch to thank him for always helping her out!!!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics