Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Can a divorced woman remarry

amother
Forestgreen

Post Tue, Mar 15 2016, 1:52 pm
My mother and father in law have been divorced for many years. They are both secular Israelis. Neither remarried, but both had plenty of 'friends.' Now they are thinking of getting back together. While this idea would be great for the family, halachawise is it allowed? I know that a divorced woman is not allowed to get back with her ex if she has been with other men, but what about situations where there's no proof (I.e. she didn't remarry). They were married with a kosher ketuba in Israel so no chance their marriage wasn't valid. We're trying to think of a way here because it would be wonderful for them to reunite. My husband and I are BTs and they are willing to listen to us and they respect the religion.

happy12

Post Tue, Mar 15 2016, 1:54 pm
If your FIL is a cohen then it is not allowed

Chayalle

Post Tue, Mar 15 2016, 1:54 pm
Ask your LOR, NOT Rabbi Imamother.

I have heard that if the ex-DH does not KNOW about the other relationships, there could be reason to allow them to remarry. But this is not a psak in any way.

MrsDash

Post Tue, Mar 15 2016, 1:56 pm
If there were no kosher witnesses, it didn't happen, halacha-wise.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Tue, Mar 15 2016, 2:01 pm
Poster here: He's not a kohen and I wanted to ask here before approaching a rav. I don't consider Imamother a rav, but a forum for interesting discussions and points I may not have thought of.

Iymnok

Post Tue, Mar 15 2016, 3:41 pm
It's a mitzvas to remarry each other, but it may be assur if she was *with* other men.

HonesttoGod

Post Tue, Mar 15 2016, 3:48 pm
Iymnok wrote:
It's a mitzvas to remarry each other, but it may be assur if she was *with* other men.

This.
It is actually a big mitzvah for a divorced couple to remarry but there is an issue if she was with other men in between.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Tue, Mar 15 2016, 3:53 pm
Poster: I know that if she hadn't been with other men then it's a mitzvah, but the question is what if she has been with other men, but there's no proof (such as marrying someone).
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions