Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
Need ideas for school lunch and snacks

dhm

Post Tue, Mar 15 2016, 9:35 am
2 of my kids were just put on a restricted diet. Ages 6 & 9. I need ideas for what to send them for lunch and snacks. And also shabbos nosh and treats.
The no no list...
Soy, gluten, dairy, corn, sugar, food coloring.
I'm gluten free and dairy free so I know what ingredients to look for. I just need ideas so they don't get bored. Also on the go breakfast would be great. And they are in a nut free school. Thanks in advance.

musicmom

Post Tue, Mar 15 2016, 2:16 pm
Hi,

I send lunches like this.

I like to use the PBK retro lunch boxes and bento boxes, and I have two snack cups for each child which fit on top.

Snacks in the snack cups are a trail mix of sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, nuts and dried fruit, and the other snack cup usually contains a mix of peanuts and cereal.

I see you are in a nut free school, but I am so glad there is a ton of protein in seeds!

In the bento box I put a sandwich or what is leftover for dinner with a fork, and in the top sections I put a fruit and 7 baby carrots or other veggie cut up. I like peeling the fruit first, so if it is an orange I give 1/2 to one kid and 1/2 to another.

Also some snack ideas are protein bar or a snack bag.

Sorry my family is not gluten free, although I am familiar as my sister has celiac, and I am dairy free, so that is what we do, although my husband usually makes the bread each night. I do know there is kosher gluten free bread you could use though. good luck!

amother
Aquamarine

Post Tue, Mar 15 2016, 3:32 pm
Udi's gluten free bread is soy free and nut free ... Not sure if corn/sugar free tho but check it out they are really good

dhm

Post Tue, Mar 15 2016, 6:02 pm
Thank you. So I know about all the breads that are available. I made challah already and store bought I will check when I go shopping if it has sugar. But I need more ideas of what to put on it for school. Can't be cream cheese or nut butter. And it can't be fleishig on a milichig school day...

Adela

Post Tue, Mar 15 2016, 6:09 pm
http://www.theglutenfreeshoppe.com
If you live in Brooklyn. Great store with excellent service and a wide variety. Or maybe they even ship.

amother
Blue

Post Tue, Mar 15 2016, 7:40 pm
Is this an allergy diet or a "healing diet"? Are carbs ok?

Lunches ideas u can mix and match
Avocado /guacamole
Tuna
Scrambled/hardboiled eggs
Egg salad
Egg muffins
Sunbutter
Rice cakes
Peppers filled with a protein
Soups in a thermos

Snacks
Rice crackers
Dried fruit
Seeds
Applesauce
Carrots and chumus
Fruits
Fruit bars
Raisins

Nosh...
Stretch island fruit bars
Target fruit bars
Many chips dont use corn or soy oil (usually higher quality ones like trader joes or kettle chips)
You can make ur own chocolate with honey or coconut sugar (if those are allowed)

Breakfast on the go
Hardboiled eggs
Almond milk in thermos and cereal in bag
GF muffins
Smoothies
Trail mix
Banana/apple and nut butter in a to go cup

dhm

Post Tue, Mar 15 2016, 9:02 pm
Thanks for the replies. I don't live in Brooklyn currently but have been to the gluten free shop many times. One of those kids are allergic to tuna so as a protein for lunch it really leaves eggs or sometimes avocado bit she's not thrilled with it. And this diet is for healing purposes although my 6 year old does have allergies to alot of foods (none severe bh) and I believe she is sensitive to others. I made today granola bars which one of them love. I'm going to have to play around alot til I figure out what they like

amother
Blue

Post Tue, Mar 15 2016, 9:18 pm
Canned salmon and salmon patties
Chicken nuggets with gf bread crumbs
Fish sticks with gf bread crumbs

dhm

Post Wed, Mar 16 2016, 8:55 am
Forgot to mention that they won't eat fish. But thanks keep the ideas coming!

dhm

Post Wed, Mar 16 2016, 8:55 am
And chicken nuggets I send them on the days the school serves fleishig
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking