Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Meat
Using brown rice in stuffed cabbage

Amelia Bedelia

Post Wed, Mar 16 2016, 7:22 am
I'm worried that the proportions of the meat mixture with raw brown rice won't cook properly. Can it be done?

ez-pass

Post Wed, Mar 16 2016, 8:07 am
Yes. I grew up on only brown rice and we always made stuffed cabbage. Of course it can be done.

Amarante

Post Wed, Mar 16 2016, 8:27 am
Recipe would have to be adjusted for cooking time because brown rice takes longer to cook. I have subbed brown rice for recipes but not stuffed cabbage.

You might partly cook brown rice so that cooking time for the cabbage is the same.

I don't think liquid would be affected because the sauce for cabbage isn't that exact in terms of quantity si a little mor or less absorbed wouldn't matter.

zaq

Post Wed, Mar 16 2016, 8:45 am
WADR to Amarante, stuffed cabbage has to cook long enough that the brown rice is quite done. No recipe adjustment necessary, unless, perhps, you like the meat in your stuffed cabbage rare. I always use brown rice and have never adjusted the recipe.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Mar 16 2016, 10:39 am
I cook the rice first (simply, in the oven) then make the ground meat and rice stuffing.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics