Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Anyone here have kids at public schools?

israeli83

Post Tue, Mar 15 2016, 8:31 pm
My first born is starting kindergarten in September and I was thrilled that he got accepted to a nice Orthodox jewish school. However, every day it seems more of a struggle for me & my family financially. I wasn't born in the US, but I did go to a public school when I was in high school and it wasn't too bad... I'm still modern orthodox. However, I think it's different to go to a public school later in life rather than during early childhood. I'm really scared to do the wrong choice for my kids since I want the best for them. However, we're really not sure how exactly we'll be able to afford to pay yearly yeshiva tuition for more than one child.

My husband thinks the kids should go to a public school and jewish studies they can learn from home and to enroll them in classes. So has anyone done this? I'm just wondering if there are any frum kids that go to public schools in NYC and turn out to be still frum later in life. Any advice, suggestions would be appreciative.

israeli83

Post Wed, Mar 16 2016, 12:56 pm
Anyone?
I know that yeshiva costs is something many parents struggle with. We don't take any vacations. In fact, we're a family of 5 and still living in a one bedroom! Of course I want my kids to have the best jewish education (and secular), but how will we be able to move while paying for tuition? The school sent me an application for tuition assistant scholarship. It says that they give only to the most deserving families so it's limited. I don't even know how much reduced price this scholarship would award families. But even if we do end up getting the scholarship, how will we be able to pay for the other siblings when they start school? It's so difficult.

greenfire

Post Wed, Mar 16 2016, 1:09 pm
people have done it ... there are even discussions on this site

I had some kids in public schools for high school - but the reasons were educational service needs vs jewish education preference that you speak of

amother
Amethyst

Post Wed, Mar 16 2016, 2:03 pm
My opinion: you can do public school but beware. Not the highest rate of your kid ending up orthodox. I think apply for financial aid and see if you can reach an agreement that you can afford. Of course they say that, many people who need to finance their yearly trips to israel apply for financial aid and they need to protect themselves.

israeli83

Post Wed, Mar 16 2016, 2:48 pm
Well, for now my kid is still registered in a yeshiva for kindergarten. We can afford one kid and of course the scholorship would help (even though I'm not sure how much the expense would turn out to be) But next year I'll have to register also my younger kid and I'm not sure how we can pay for two. I don't like to change schools very often especially after my kids get comfortable at the school and have friends. It's also not just the money. My husband (who's a teacher at a public school) thinks that they would get a better education at a public school also because the teachers and the curriculum is better. But I'm still torn between public and yeshiva.

tichellady

Post Wed, Mar 16 2016, 2:49 pm
There are no guarantees your kids will be frum no matter what you do. I know plenty of kids who went to yeshiva day and high school who are not frum. I know public school kids who are very frum. I know yeshiva graduates who are frum and public school graduates who are not frum. Children grow up into adults who make their own choices. Whatever you choose make sure they have a good group of friends, belong to a synagogue with a good youth program and try to make sure they have a good Jewish education ( in whatever school they go to).
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children