Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Skip toddlers nap- am I being selfish?

Laughter123

Post Thu, Mar 17 2016, 12:06 pm
She's 2 and 1/2. Usually up anywhere from 7:30-8:30. Goes to preschool from 9-1, after which she has that tired look in her eyes and I put her in for a nap. If left to sleep she can go until 4:30 but then is full of energy and does not appear tired so I don't put her in until after 9(I've also tried waking her at 3:30 and put her by 8:30 but I feel bad to wake her out of her cozy dreamland!) I'm thinking of cutting this nap out for a few reasons: A. the most obvious so I can put her in early and tend to the older children and have mor of an evening for myself to be rejuvinated, feel youthful, get me time. Also, I have older toddlers and an infant who are up at that time so this allows me to do activities with the all of them (I.e. park etc ). There's even the option of leaving her extra after school if need be. But then I feel so selfish! SHe's tired how can I do that to her? I've tried a couple of times. By 3 she has such a tired look in her eyes but gets through playing etc still happy, etc. By 5 she's getting cranky by 6 whining crying! When I nap her it does allow me to give baby more attention or focus on home stuff or make it lighter for the sitter the days I'm working and then at times she is super cute late into the evening and the older ones can play with her too. WHen school or camp hrs are lengthened to past 2/ 3 it's not really a challenge to me I just cut it but now when school is over at 1 I am torn. What do yuo ladies suggest?

Iymnok

Post Thu, Mar 17 2016, 12:09 pm
That the age of dropping the nap. After a time of waking her after an hour, her body will get used to it. I have abedtime for my kids. If the toddler is nit tired then, I know it's time to adjust his nap.
Alternatively, you can only give her a nap three times a week.

AlwaysThinking

Post Thu, Mar 17 2016, 12:13 pm
6 is a good bedtime actually. Babies/toddlers will often still get 'tired' around their usual nap time simply because they are used to sleeping then, not just because they really need it. After a few days it should even out. Sounds like she doesn't need it. Anyway the nap at that age should be limited in duration and end before three. Sounds like you are letting her sleep too long in the day and not enough at night. You are definitely not being selfish b wanting to get rid of her nap - it is actually best for her to sleep more at night, it's better quality sleep and it's more in keeping with her natural rhythm.

Edited to add:

The truth is, I don't know if the nap needs to go completely, but it definitely shouldn't be open ended and hours long.

Last edited by AlwaysThinking on Thu, Mar 17 2016, 3:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

myym

Post Thu, Mar 17 2016, 12:23 pm
I beg to differ with the above posters. I would let her keep her nap. Most children need that nap until age 3.5 yrs. Also a general rule is, sleep brings sleep. If you withhold the nap she will be overtired at 6pm and not sleep as well. And besides all that, she is a person, despite being a little one, and the poor thing is tired : )

morahmommy

Post Thu, Mar 17 2016, 12:54 pm
My children all stopped needing a nap before age 2. I don't think there's any "rule" about naptime. It's extremely individual to each child (and Mommy). If it were my child? I'd stop the nap and put her in about six. Nine is quite late to be going to sleep and there is nothing selfish about wanting time with your older children or your own time to rejuvenate. Try it for a couple of weeks, if she's still not used to it, you can always go back to it

mommy3b2c

Post Thu, Mar 17 2016, 3:00 pm
Totally not selfish. I would cut out the nap, start bedtime at 5:30 and put her in at 6:00. Toddlers are auppose to go to sleep at six not at nine.

Laughter123

Post Thu, Mar 17 2016, 3:04 pm
yet I find they are much more resilient and happy with a nap! but it's nice to put her in early! still torn! (although thanks so much for the advice ladies!)

chometz

Post Thu, Mar 17 2016, 3:22 pm
2 1/2 years olds definitely do need a nap, although not one lasting more that 2 hours. Perhaps you could train a shorter nap, and start an earlier bedtime.. 7pm is ideal in my world as my 2 and 3/4 year old sleeps about 11 hours at night with a 90min afternoon nap.
Hope you're able to soon get a better schedule going that works well for you and your family.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics