Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Give therapist MM

amother

Post Mon, Feb 18 2013, 6:24 am
Would you give your therapist mishloach manos? It's a frum therapist in e"y if that makes a difference.

notshanarishona

Post Mon, Feb 18 2013, 8:56 am
Yes, if it wasn't too inconvenient.

esmom

Post Mon, Feb 18 2013, 9:03 am
Most definitely. My 22 month old has three therapists who work with him. I plan on giving all three of them. I give my regular mishloach monos plus a tip with a nice thank u note. I feel that therapists deserve recognition for all their hard work.

amother

Post Mon, Feb 18 2013, 11:49 am
just to clarify I mean a personal therapist as in a psychologist/ social worker, not a therapist for my kids and not a spech therapist, pt, ot type? Such a therapist should one give to?

healthywoman

Post Mon, Feb 18 2013, 12:02 pm
people do but they normally give it at a session before

amother

Post Mon, Feb 18 2013, 1:22 pm
I am a social worker, and our (frum) agency has a policy that we do not accept gifts from clients - including mishloach manos. this is specifically so clients do not come to our homes (as our family members do not know who our clients our)....find out if there is such a policy.

amother

Post Mon, Feb 18 2013, 1:40 pm
That's more what I was wondering. I don't mind giving her but I guess I would do it by my session before purim, as it would be awkward to go to her house for that. It's a private therapist so I don't think there'd be any rules per se. Any other feedback?

amother
Indigo

Post Sun, Mar 20 2016, 8:58 am
I know this isn't recent but I'd still like to know what the protocol is.. I see a religious therapist who is also private, wondering if it will make things awkward if I give her a mm at our next session.. And if so, a homemade one like I'm giving everyone else or a store bought one? Thanks in advance

amother
Blush

Post Sun, Mar 20 2016, 9:44 am
I'm wondering the same. Because my therapist really doesnt need my food or even gift/money. I know her well enough. But it's it simply mentchlich to give mm? I've been with her for a while.

amother
Violet

Post Sun, Mar 20 2016, 9:52 am
In the past I have been in therapy. I actually have seen the same therapist for four years and I never gave her mm. I HAVE sent her very nice emails/notes around YT time thanking her for the work she's done with me and wishing her a chag sameach. I personally feel that a note is more appropriate for this specific relationship.

amother
Burgundy

Post Sun, Mar 20 2016, 10:04 am
I wouldn't. I think it's so inappropriate.

agreer

Post Sun, Mar 20 2016, 12:24 pm
No. It is not necessary at all.

The only time to give a gift at therapy is at termination, if u want. Other times, inappropriate.

amother
Orange

Post Sun, Mar 20 2016, 12:33 pm
amother wrote:
I'm wondering the same. Because my therapist really doesnt need my food or even gift/money. I know her well enough. But it's it simply mentchlich to give mm? I've been with her for a while.

The point is not that they "need it". No one "needs MM". (And I know plenty of poor therapists. It isn't "easy money".)
Technically all people in the helping fields- OT, SLP, therapists, teachers, nurses etc are not supposed to accept any expensive gift. (Expensive is based on the client. Mr rich shouldn't give you $100 chocolates no matter what and mr poor might have trouble with $5...) However, it is always nice to be thought of. If they are in an office setting, you can bring something small for everyone to share. Or bring in a nicely worded note.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette