Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
How would you feel about this gift?

amother
Royalblue

Post Sun, Mar 20 2016, 11:24 pm
I want to buy a gift certificate for a family photo shoot for a friend of mine. I know it's something she's been wanting for years.

Is it not nice to give her a session with a photographer who only gives the pictures on a CD?

On the one hand, this allows her to choose which sizes and how many pictures she wants. On the other hand, it ends up being a gift she needs to spend more money on, if she wants prints (and why wouldn't she...)

What do you think?

Notsobusy

Post Sun, Mar 20 2016, 11:37 pm
I don't think it's nice to give a gift if it's means the receiver would to have to spend their own money to enjoy the gift. I would not appreciate such a gift.

greenfire

Post Sun, Mar 20 2016, 11:41 pm
offer a couple of prints along with the gift ... spending extra on gifts they can't afford to finish puts a damper on said gift

notshanarishona

Post Mon, Mar 21 2016, 12:20 am
Many people only get digital pictures now and charge extra for prints. I don't think it's a bad gift.
The main use of pictures is emailing them to others anyway.

seeker

Post Mon, Mar 21 2016, 12:51 am
I would love such a gift. I don't agree that the main point is emailing them to others, but even so the sitting fee is usually the biggest expense of getting professional photos. If you have the CD you can choose to get prints cheap, or you can wait until you have the money available before you get around to printing them - but this moment in your family's history is not going to wait around until you have the cash, so you need the photo shoot whenever you get it. And prints can always get lost or damaged but if you have a CD you make both hard and cloud backups and you can re-access your pics as needed. Also easy to share with grandparents etc.

If you were including neither a CD nor prints, then yes that would be a tacky gift. But a photo shoot with a CD is excellent.

I actually won a photo shoot with 10 digital "prints" in a chinese auction and I'm still stalled on it over a year later (I sure hope I won't miss the deadline while my pictures are still available, yikes) because I can't choose just 10! And paying for more is a lot! So if I would have gotten just a CD of everything I would have been very happy. Now I am stuck and don't know what to do. Maybe I will actually just spend money on extras, besides what I'd want to spend to print some for the wall. It's not a treat I would usually say I can afford but there are these gorgeous pictures of my family just sitting there, I can't just let them disappear!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics