Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Retained neonatal reflexes

amother

Post Sat, Dec 08 2012, 8:32 pm
Has anyone ever heard of this?
DS just had an appointment with a behavioral optometrist and she mentioned something about this (she's going to explain everything in more detail at our next appointment) I did some research and found some interesting stuff, but I had NEVER EVER heard of this before and I wonder if it's all BS or if it's a real thing.
This explains it really well:
http://intersect4kids.com/eagl.....s.pdf

Anyone have any experience with this?

gryp

Post Sat, Dec 08 2012, 9:14 pm
There are many programs which work at developing retained infant reflexes. My son has done a program like this with amazing results. I didn't specifically click on your link to see which program you're looking into but your title caught my eye and I'm responding to that.

amother

Post Sat, Dec 08 2012, 9:22 pm
I'm an OT, and I have done reflex integration with kids as part of a broader treatment program. AFAIK, there is no hard evidence that it actually produces significant behavioral outcomes. Anecdotally, it seems to work- sometimes. Since I am evidence-driven in my practice, I don't incorporate RI unless a parent specifically requests it. Then I will follow a RI protocol, but I do traditional therapy with the child as well. When the child is discharged, reflexes have been satisfactorily integrated, and therapy goals have been met. I can't say whether the progress can be attributed to the RI, obviously, but if the parents want to pay for it, I know it can't hurt. You also have to know your child- whether he or she will comply with the exercises. Feel free to ask more questions.

otsrock

Post Sat, Dec 08 2012, 9:57 pm
Gryp, can you pm me with more information about which program your son went to?
I am an OT who also works with reflex integration, and it's great to hear from a patent that it has worked for their child. OP, I would suggest googling INPP and researching Sally Goddard blythe's work.

amother
Violet

Post Sun, Mar 20 2016, 6:02 pm
I see this is an old thread but I'm dealing with this issue now. I'm very curious to hear if any of he above posters or anyone else can say they have had success with this method of therapy?
My son is 6 and was diagnosed 2 years ago as having a retained Moro and some other reflexes.
I was told that it's the root of his fidgety nature and focusing issues. As well as some explosive behavior when his "fight or flight" reflex is triggered.
Would love to hear from moms of older kids who have had success with intergrating reflexes and have seen good results .

amother
Green

Post Sun, Mar 20 2016, 8:53 pm
amother wrote:
I see this is an old thread but I'm dealing with this issue now. I'm very curious to hear if any of he above posters or anyone else can say they have had success with this method of therapy?
My son is 6 and was diagnosed 2 years ago as having a retained Moro and some other reflexes.
I was told that it's the root of his fidgety nature and focusing issues. As well as some explosive behavior when his "fight or flight" reflex is triggered.
Would love to hear from moms of older kids who have had success with intergrating reflexes and have seen good results .

Is this told to all parents with a fidgety or explosive child by practitioners of such therapy or only some children are told they have immature reflexes?

Brooklynmom1

Post Sun, Mar 20 2016, 8:57 pm
I'm really not sure. I know that there is a way to test for retained neonatal reflexes and that my son tested positive. Meaning he has retained a few reflexes that should have been gone long ago.

I see from extensive online research that the retention of certain reflexes causes certain behaviors in kids very similar to what my son has.

What I don't know is : can the therapy they recommend actually help?
Which is why I'm looking for anyone who has been there , done it and seen success.

seeker

Post Mon, Mar 21 2016, 1:04 am
I don't know all that much about this specifically but from what I have seen my impression is that it's one of those things that is probably real but is probably not everything. It does seem as though many kids with OT issues have these primitive reflexes. But who knows which is the cause and which is the effect, and whether integrating these reflexes will solve anything other than integrating these reflexes, which is surely a valid goal on its own because it's what the body is supposed to do for good reasons, but they seem to be telling you a lot more than that.

All I can really say is that I have mainly heard of this primitive reflex thing from two people: Both of them are highly skilled therapists who are trained in many areas, and both of them talked about it in the context of combining several different approaches. That's what leads me to think that it is something legit - because I feel that these therapists are legit - but that people who say this alone is a cure-all might be just trying to sell something.

Brooklynmom1

Post Mon, Mar 21 2016, 7:35 am
Thanks for your reply. This is what I'm finding. A lot of people who have heard some people who actually practice this method and many who denounce it as "fad" but I am trying to find someone who actually followed the program and came out successful. It's a little disturbing to me that I can't find anyone.
It's a very expensive and extremely time consuming process which would all be completely worth it if it actually produced results.

amother
Gold

Post Mon, Mar 21 2016, 9:07 am
So my experience is that my baby was getting PT and the PT saw that he still had some reflexes that hadn't integrated, and that the reflexes were affecting his movements a bit. But she said that even if they are present longer than they should be, they usually go away on their own as the kids move around more. And B"H they did go away on their own. I would imagine it's important for these reflexes to be properly integrated, but do they fix other problems? Who knows. I would think that problems like low tone or other issues could be a cause for the reflexes not going away and I don't know what the treatment is but possibly the treatment also helps with these issues because they're all connected. But I still have a hard time belivig that the reflex problem causes the other problems and that fixing it cures ther problems. They're all so interconnected that who can say cause and effect. Can you go to a regular PT or OT who can also check for these issues while working on the overall problem?

Brooklynmom1

Post Mon, Mar 21 2016, 9:15 am
He is receiving regular ot as well as this therapy.
Hes a good kid. No diagnoses. Just ants in his pants and some issues with transitioning. Mostly the temper worries me. It comes out of nowhere and seems like he's over reacting. Like if someone is talking to him and someone else makes noise he flips out
I wish I knew what he really needed. Too much at stake to take a chance and not do everything possible

amother
Gold

Post Mon, Mar 21 2016, 9:23 am
Brooklynmom1 wrote:
He is receiving regular ot as well as this therapy.
Hes a good kid. No diagnoses. Just ants in his pants and some issues with transitioning. Mostly the temper worries me. It comes out of nowhere and seems like he's over reacting. Like if someone is talking to him and someone else makes noise he flips out
I wish I knew what he really needed. Too much at stake to take a chance and not do everything possible

I agree, sounds like it's worth it to try if it could help.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)