Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins
When to cut biscotti? let it cool? warm?

momof2+?

Post Mon, Mar 21 2016, 11:09 pm
So I'm trying to cut my biscotti that I took out of the oven about 20 min ago. It's still warm. and it's breaking apart. It's not cracking, bec. it's not crunchy yet. Still a little gooey, just falling apart. Is this how it's supposed to be and I should just wait until it cools to cut it? or is it not ready and I should put it back in the oven for 10 min/so and then try cutting again?
I don't know if it makes a difference, but I baked it on parchment paper in a disposable pan. I was wondering if the bottom won't be crispy bec. of this?

When are you supposed to cut the loaf of cookie dough into biscotti? when it's warm? or cooled off?

I've got my 2nd and third batch coming out of the oven soon...so any replies appreciated...

side - I've heard of recipes that call for laying the biscotti's on their sides and putting back in the oven for 5 minutes. Do you do this?

Last edited by momof2+? on Mon, Mar 21 2016, 11:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

tigerwife

Post Mon, Mar 21 2016, 11:11 pm
I cut when it's cooled off and cakey, otherwise I find it falls apart. After it's sliced, I return to the oven for 5-10 minutes set slightly spread apart.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Mar 21 2016, 11:15 pm
Make sure to use a serated knife.
Gooey after the standard 10-20 minutes cooling off sounds like it's not quite done. But be careful not to overbake either Smile
Twice baked biscotti is classic but it depends on what sort of texture you're looking for.

Marion

Post Tue, Mar 22 2016, 12:59 am
It has to be cool enough to touch, and you have to use a bread knife. If it cools all the way you won't be ABLE to cut it!

momof2+?

Post Tue, Mar 22 2016, 10:16 am
OP here.
Thanks everyone for the tips. I left the next batches in a bit longer and cut all three and put them back in the oven for 7 minutes. (first batch for 10 minutes).
OKAY, on to the next prePurim prep! Have a good, accomplishing day!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins