Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Not wearing tights stockings in Flatbush in summer?

amother
Khaki

Post Thu, Mar 24 2016, 9:00 pm
In Flatbush, if people don't wear tights in the summer are they viewed as modern (orthodox) or just not yeshivish?

mummiedearest

Post Thu, Mar 24 2016, 9:07 pm
just saying, this isn't a halachic question.

now then, I'll answer the question. when I was growing up in flatbush, not wearing tights/stockings in the summer was considered a perfectly normal thing to do. "yeshivish" at the time indicated a lower cost lifestyle (used cars, house in need of visible repair, etc. reference moshe yess's "I got a yeshivishe car"). women who would likely be considered yeshivish today showed some of their hair, sometimes wore sleeves rolled up slightly past their elbows, and weren't so picky about their collarbone being covered as long as the neckline was in the vicinity. knees were covered, though. this was not that long ago. currently, I go barefoot during the summer (I don't consider myself yeshivish), my more-likely-to-call-themselves-yeshivish neighbors do as well. and then there are those who will only wear opaque tights regardless of weather. you're not going to find exact guidelines. if you belong to a group (shul, block, family, etc.) that doesn't approve of barefootedness and their opinion matters to you, don't go barefoot. otherwise, do what you want and call yourself whatever you want.

DrMom

Post Thu, Mar 24 2016, 10:08 pm
amother wrote:
In Flatbush, if people don't wear tights in the summer are they viewed as modern (orthodox) or just not yeshivish?

If they do, it would be a display of deep ignorance. These hashkafot have complex philosophies. To reduce them to the absence of tights in summer is silly.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions