Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
Cornbeef, how bad is it

amother
Orchid

Post Sun, Mar 27 2016, 9:48 am
For your health.
I'm talking about the one you buy raw and pre pickled.
Trying to live a healthier lifestyle.
Also, please explain.
I have no health restriction, except a little overweight, according to BMI.

mummiedearest

Post Sun, Mar 27 2016, 9:50 am
well, I don't think it's bad except for the sodium nitrate, which is used as preservative and to maintain a nice pink color. I pickle my own and just skip that ingredient. it's delicious.

wikipedia: Studies have shown a link between increased levels of nitrates and increased deaths from certain diseases including Alzheimer's, diabetes mellitus and Parkinson's, possibly through the damaging effect of nitrosamines on DNA, however, little is done to control for other possible causes in the epidemiological results.[10] Nitrosamines, formed in cured meats containing sodium nitrate and nitrite, have been linked to gastric cancer and oesophageal cancer.[11] Sodium nitrate and nitrite are associated with a higher risk of colorectal cancer.[12] World Cancer Research Fund UK,[13] states that one of the reasons that processed meat increases the risk of colon cancer is its content of nitrate. A small amount of the nitrate added to meat as a preservative breaks down into nitrite, in addition to any nitrite that may also be added. The nitrite then reacts with protein-rich foods (such as meat) to produce NOCs (nitroso compounds). NOCs can be formed either when meat is cured or in the body as meat is digested. For most people, the highest dietary source of nitrates is from fruits and vegetables and no studies have conclusively linked nitrates and nitrites to cancer or any other form of diseases. On the contrary, some research has hinted to beneficial properties of nitrites such as lowering blood pressure by slightly expanding arteries. [14] The only reason nitrates and nitrites came under such legal scrutiny is when the US Food and Drug Administration presented a brief report which stated that some adverse effect was observed on mice (“depression of growth”) when their intake of nitrites was up to 90% of daily diet.[15]

See also

cm

Post Sun, Mar 27 2016, 10:01 am
Isn't corned beef extremely salty?

mummiedearest

Post Sun, Mar 27 2016, 10:03 am
cm wrote:
Isn't corned beef extremely salty?

salt is used to pickle, yes. you are supposed to give it a good rinse before cooking, so that removes a lot of the salt, but plenty remains. unless you have high blood pressure, this really shouldn't be a problem.

amother
Orchid

Post Sun, Mar 27 2016, 10:09 am
Thanks mummidearest for the explanation
I like to understand things.
I see that Brooklyn stores always have it on sale.
As an OOTer, it is still considered a delicacy and is too expensive to buy here.

Can I have the recipe of homemade pickled corn beef?
Is it worth the work when it's advertised at $5.99 the lb., 1st cut brisket.
Whole brisket by me is $10.99, NOT pickled.

Or is it something I'm better off without.

No health restrictions, except the ones I self impose.

mummiedearest

Post Sun, Mar 27 2016, 10:20 am
I use alton brown's recipe, but I leave out the saltpeter (sodium nitrate) and juniper berries (only cause I can't find them easily and have no other use for them). it's delicious without those things. it doesn't stay pink, but who cares. and it says to pickle for ten days, but you can get away with less if you're impatient. I tend to use half a batch of brine at a time and freeze the rest for the next time brisket is on sale. it doesn't fully freeze because of all the salt, but that's fine.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/rec......html
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking