Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
This grosses me out! Am I just too sensitive?

amother
Aubergine

Post Sat, Mar 26 2016, 9:40 pm
Whenever my sister visits me and wants to clean her toddler's nose she washes it in my kitchen sink. I really think it's gross and no manner. I would like to know, am I too sensitive or is it by most people considered gross?

Dandelion1

Post Sat, Mar 26 2016, 9:48 pm
I don't think so... presumably you wash dishes and utensils that people have eaten off of....

FranticFrummie

Post Sat, Mar 26 2016, 9:51 pm
It wouldn't bother me, but I understand your feelings.

Next time, tell her that there is a clean washcloth in the guest bathroom, and suggest she handle it in there. Either that, or have some baby wipes and a trash can handy, so she doesn't have to use any of the sinks.

the world's best mom

Post Sun, Mar 27 2016, 12:06 am
Why is that worse than washing dirty dishes or rinsing your mouth in the sink? Or washing raw meat, or washing dirty hands and faces. The sink gets germy from many things, and that's why we clean it.

Bruria

Post Sun, Mar 27 2016, 1:24 am
I also think it's gross, no, you are not too sensitive.

amother
Burgundy

Post Sun, Mar 27 2016, 4:53 am
Any hand or face washing belongs strictly in the bathroom in my opinion.
I also believe wiping hands should only be on hand towels and those should not be the same as dish towels.
So you are not so bad. I am worse Very Happy

cuffs

Post Sun, Mar 27 2016, 5:13 am
I think it's gross to brush your teeth in the kitchen sink but to wash a baby's face? I find it ok.

causemommysaid

Post Sun, Mar 27 2016, 8:04 am
I think its oversensitive.

Dandelion1

Post Sun, Mar 27 2016, 8:09 am
I just don't see the difference between washing a little baby's nose and washing a sink full of utensils that have been in adults' flegmy germy mouths....

November

Post Sun, Mar 27 2016, 9:03 am
It's your house and it doesn't matter if you are being overly sensitive or not- kindly ask her to do that in the bathroom. Don't get into an argument about it. Call it your own meshuga'as or whatever, but if it ain't working for you and it's your home, you can set some boundaries /ground rules.

heidi

Post Sun, Mar 27 2016, 9:56 am
amother wrote:
Any hand or face washing belongs strictly in the bathroom in my opinion.
I also believe wiping hands should only be on hand towels and those should not be the same as dish towels.
So you are not so bad. I am worse Very Happy

Are you my mother?

amother
Aubergine

Post Sun, Mar 27 2016, 10:22 am
Op here. I'm not talking about a little baby and I'm not talking about washing a face.
I'm talking about taking a 3 year old, taking out the dirt of her nose, putting it in sink, and rinsing the sink afterwards.

miami85

Post Sun, Mar 27 2016, 10:43 am
Soap washes away germs. Period. Not all germs WILL make you sick (can, not will). Unless you are immuno-compromised, you likely have been exposed to all of those germ already and you don't have much to worry about. Kitchen sinks are exposed to germs all the time from food that has bacteria and dirty dishes that sit in the sink.
It's probably dirtier than your bathroom sink which (unless you are a real sprayer when you wash your hands) which you don't touch while you are washing your hands--which you are likely washing more as a formality than actually having touched anything dirty, using soap, and then the water goes mostly straight down the sink and the soap makes it that it doesn't cling to the bowl of the sink.

Eggs & raw meat both have risk of transmitting E. Coli and Salmonella, that's why we cook them. Those are often the same dangerous bacteria found in the bathroom.

Besides how often do you touch the bottom of your kitchen sink anyway? I only do it when I'm scrubbing it with soap.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Mar 27 2016, 10:44 am
amother wrote:
Op here. I'm not talking about a little baby and I'm not talking about washing a face.
I'm talking about taking a 3 year old, taking out the dirt of her nose, putting it in sink, and rinsing the sink afterwards.

I didn't think it was gross, as I imagined washing a kids face, until you wrote this. Yuck.

pause

Post Sun, Mar 27 2016, 11:39 am
Please tell her to take a tissue.

greenfire

Post Sun, Mar 27 2016, 2:39 pm
ra_mom wrote:
I didn't think it was gross, as I imagined washing a kids face, until you wrote this. Yuck.

me too cause I was imagining washing a kid with a dirty face - but snooty face is a tad gross Puke

then again so long as the sink is empty & someone will comet it out

I do prefer not to use the kitchen sink for even brushing teeth

then again I take issue with people washing their hands outside the bathroom in the kitchen sink ... shock

amother
Aubergine

Post Sun, Mar 27 2016, 3:17 pm
miami85 wrote:
Soap washes away germs. Period. Not all germs WILL make you sick (can, not will). Unless you are immuno-compromised, you likely have been exposed to all of those germ already and you don't have much to worry about. Kitchen sinks are exposed to germs all the time from food that has bacteria and dirty dishes that sit in the sink.
It's probably dirtier than your bathroom sink which (unless you are a real sprayer when you wash your hands) which you don't touch while you are washing your hands--which you are likely washing more as a formality than actually having touched anything dirty, using soap, and then the water goes mostly straight down the sink and the soap makes it that it doesn't cling to the bowl of the sink.

Eggs & raw meat both have risk of transmitting E. Coli and Salmonella, that's why we cook them. Those are often the same dangerous bacteria found in the bathroom.

Besides how often do you touch the bottom of your kitchen sink anyway? I only do it when I'm scrubbing it with soap.

I appreciate your reply. Just let me make myself clear. It's totally not about the germs that I'm worried about.
It just grosses me out when seeing her taking out the dirt and dropping it in the sink. That's all.

amother
Burgundy

Post Sun, Mar 27 2016, 3:40 pm
heidi wrote:
Are you my mother?

nope I'm 25 ... unless you are 5 LOL

Butterfly

Post Sun, Mar 27 2016, 3:53 pm
amother wrote:
I appreciate your reply. Just let me make myself clear. It's totally not about the germs that I'm worried about.
It just grosses me out when seeing her taking out the dirt and dropping it in the sink. That's all.

I agree with you OP. Such a scenario would gross me out too.

Naturally the ideal thing to do is just use a tissue and throw it into the garbage disposal.

In your sister's case it's to assume that she is most likely accustomed to practice this method in her own home as well and it didn't dawn upon her to do it differently at her sister's where she probably feels at home as well...

amother
Aubergine

Post Sun, Mar 27 2016, 4:08 pm
Butterfly wrote:
I agree with you OP. Such a scenario would gross me out too.

Naturally the ideal thing to do is just use a tissue and throw it into the garbage disposal.

In your sister's case it's to assume that she is most likely accustomed to practice this method in her own home as well and it didn't dawn upon her to do it differently at her sister's where she probably feels at home as well...

That's right Very Happy
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette