Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Therapy at school - classmates knowing about it

amother
Lime

Post Tue, Mar 29 2016, 5:51 am
My son's school is recommending he have therapy for emotional issues with someone who comes to the school. Having therapy during school time is convenient for me, but I wonder if it will only make things worse for my son to have his classmates see him pulled out of class to meet with the therapist. What do you think?

amother
Blue

Post Tue, Mar 29 2016, 6:09 am
amother wrote:
My son's school is recommending he have therapy for emotional issues with someone who comes to the school. Having therapy during school time is convenient for me, but I wonder if it will only make things worse for my son to have his classmates see him pulled out of class to meet with the therapist. What do you think?

How old is your son?

I assume the school will do it discretely. In the school where I work, students are pulled out often for tutoring,etc. I never saw any body make fun.

amother
Babypink

Post Tue, Mar 29 2016, 9:52 am
I hated it. But a - I'm very sensitive and b- I was pretty old. I would ask him if he's comfortable with it.

Goldie613

Post Tue, Mar 29 2016, 9:55 am
I think it really depends on how many other kids are getting pulled out on a regular basis. If your child will be one of only a handful of kids, I could see it being more of an issue. If a large number of kids get taken out for different things (OT, PT, speech, tutoring, resource room, etc.), I would think it would be much less of an issue.

You can try asking the school how the students have reacted in the past to kids in your child's situation. That might give you a clearer idea what to expect. Also, ask your son how he feels about it - he may say he's fine with it, or he may say that he's too embarrassed to deal with it at school.

Chayalle

Post Tue, Mar 29 2016, 10:00 am
What Goldie said. My DD is 7 1/2 and gets pulled out of class for OT. Tutoring, OT, etc...is considered normal in her school, no one bats an eyelash.

If the environment is such that he could be getting pulled out for a variety of reasons, masking the real reason and protecting his privacy, and if it's something that isn't looked down at in his school, then provided he's okay with it I'd go for it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children